14 - order

i looked at my phone to check the time. i was sat alone at a restaurant waiting for my date to show up who was now half an hour late. he wasn't returning any of my calls or my texts. he probably wasn't going to turn up. i rolled my eyes and put my phone back in my pocket before hearing the sound of somebody clearing their throat. i looked up and saw a waiter with a notepad in his hand staring at me with an incredibly forced smile.

"are you ready to order yet, sir?" i looked over at the empty seat in front of me and sighed. i looked back at the waiter and nodded. even if my date wasn't there yet, i was starving. he would just have to order on his own when he turned up. if he turned up. i relayed what i wanted to the waiter who looked incredibly relieved to finally have an order off of me. i thanked him before he walked away and over to the kitchen on the other side of the restaurant.

i heard a bell ring, the door bell, indicating that somebody had entered. i thought that it was my date, and i had my 'i'm not happy with you' face prepared. but when i looked over i could only see the back of a man and a woman's head. i groaned in frustration and sat back down, growing more and more frustrated by the second. i got my phone out again and clicked on the guy's contact.

you're taking too long so i ordered my food without you. you'll have to order yourself when you get here. sorry

i put my phone away and sighed, knowing that he most likely wouldn't even read the message. i looked beside me to see a waiter passing by. a few seconds later i saw a woman whose face i couldn't see clearly due to her hair blocking it. and following closely behind her was...

him.

i had to do a double take. i couldn't believe what i was seeing. but sure enough, the man walking past my booth was sean. there was no doubt about it. and the woman walking in front of him must have been his girlfriend gab.

i looked away instantly, burying my face into my jacket. my heart was in my throat and i felt short of breath. i took my inhaler out of my pocket and shook it rapidly before putting it to my lips and pressing down on the button to try and get some of my breath back. i did that a couple of times before putting it away and looking back to the side of me. he was gone and now there was nobody there. i looked at the door, nobody else was there.

soon enough, sean came into my line of sight again when i saw him take a seat in a booth not too far away from where i was sat. i watched as him and gab grabbed a menu each and began to read the contents, not saying a word to each other once. like a creep i continued to stare at them and realised that they weren't talking at all. maybe they'd had an argument or something. i'd completely forgotten about my date who was now 45 minutes late. i just cared about the people who had just walked in the restaurant.

i watched as a waiter came over and started to jot down their orders. he was there for about two minutes before walking away to the kitchen. for a few seconds the couple didn't say a word to each other, before i saw sean's lips start to move. i was so curious to know what he was actually saying. every now and again he would stop and look down at the table before beginning tospeak again. the whole time she said nothing, she didn't even look at him. instead she was looking at the floor.

and then straight at me.

i looked away and hid my face, praying that she hadn't had enough time to realise who i was or that i had been watching them for nearly 10 minutes. i didn't look back for another two minutes and i thought the coast was clear. when i looked back i saw that gab was no longer sat at sean's table, and was instead walking out of the door. and even after several minutes, she didn't come back.

i looked back at sean and noticed how upset he looked. whatever had happened, i already felt terrible for him. i sighed.

well...there's not much that i can do about it.

i pulled my phone out of my pocket to see if my date had messaged me back. shockingly, he had.

well then i don't see much point in coming. i'll eat at home tonight

i rolled my eyes and groaned again before putting my phone back in my pocket. suddenly, i heard a voice. an incredibly familiar one.

"long time no see."