24 - cheer up

i sighed and put my hands over my face as i thought about the utterly embarrassing situation that had occurred earlier that day.

i called seán babe.

obviously i didn't mean to, it was an accident, and that's what i told him. but i don't think it made it any better. the fact that i was even thinking about it was weird enough, let alone the fact that i actually said it. i thought about how awkward it was when it happened. there was such a long silence. then he said he had to leave. i felt so humiliated.

if i was getting anywhere with him, it had probably all crashed down now. maybe in a few days he'd forget all about it and we'd arrange to meet and it'd be like i didn't say anything. me and my big mouth. me and my dumb brain. i should have just been quiet instead of responding.

i heard my phone go off and thought for a second it might have been seán. but i was a little disappointed when i saw that it was a message from mark.

dude, you called seán babe?

how did he know?! had seán told him? he must have, otherwise he wouldn't have found out. great. seán was so embarrassed that he had to tell somebody else to share that embarrassment with.

did he tell you that

um...kinda

what do you mean kinda, he either did or he didn't

alright, he did. i wasn't supposed to tell you that he did. don't tell him that i told you

i rolled my eyes.

sure

i didn't get another message from him or from anyone. suddenly, i heard knocks at my front door. i didn't bother answering. it was a sunday, so it was probably a jehovah's witness or something along those lines. i got them knocking on my door quite often on god's day of rest. i allowed the knocking to continue for about a minute before it stopped completely. finally, they'd gotten the hint.

i heard my phone go off again. i gathered it was probably mark since he was the only person who really messaged me anymore, and i was right.

OPEN YOUR DOOR

was it mark who was there? it was unusual of him to turn up without warning me first or arranging something. usually i went to his house anyway, since mine was so small and old and mark's was so big and modern. my house was so embarrassing, so i preferred to hang out at his.

i put my phone down on my couch and stood up, looking in the mirror as i walked over. i tidied my hair slightly since it had gone a little messy. it was only mark, but i still wanted to look decent. i sighed before walking over to the door, placing my hand upon the door handle and opening it up to see not mark, but...

"seán?" he gave me a small smile. his cheeks were rosy, as if he was blushing.

"you finally answered the door." he said.

"yeah...i thought it was mark since he just messaged me telling me to open the door..." i was still confused about that.

"oh...i was texting him. i told him you weren't opening the door so that's probably why."

"do you like...give him constant updates on your life or?" he chuckled softly before shaking his head and looking me in the eyes. that's when i finally realised that he had a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

"no...i guess he's my...never mind. these are for you." i wanted him to continue with what he was saying, but then he thrust the bouquet in my face, forcing me to grab it. it soon clicked that they were sunflowers. my favourite flower. he remembered. he actually cared.

"you got me sunflowers?" he nodded whilst smiling. a huge smile was put on my face.

"you didn't have to...what's the occasion?"

"i just wanted to cheer you up. you know, after earlier...you seemed pretty embarrassed." well...at least i knew now that he didn't hate me for it. and that things between us certainly weren't going to crash down.

"thank you so much. seriously, thank you. this is so sweet of you."

"don't sweat it. anyway, i've gotta go now. i've got stuff to do. see you soon." i returned the farewell before shutting the door. he got me my favourite flowers to cheer me up...if he wasn't the kindest man i'd ever met than i didn't know who was. i walked into the kitchen to place the flowers into the vase on my windowsill. i removed the dead ones, and replaced the water so that it was clean. i then removed the sunflowers from the packaging and placed them in the vase.

i walked over to the bin and was about to chuck the packaging away when i noticed that there was writing on the label. i opened it to get a better look at the words written there.

maybe next time you call me babe you'll get to do it on purpose <3