15 - years and years

"long time no see."

i stared at him in utter disbelief. he was actually talking to me, saying hi to me like nothing had happened between us. I thought he had forgotten about me. perhaps I was wrong. I had no idea what to say back to him. I was too shocked and slightly scared of so many things. what if I made things even more awkward? what if we argued? what if his girlfriend came back? I swallowed my fear and forced a smile, nodding slowly.

"yeah...i-it's been a while." we both smiled at each other and sat in the most awkward silence I had ever had to endure. we didn't speak for so long. I was convinced he was about to walk away, until he opened his mouth again.

"are you uh...waiting for someone?" I looked at the empty seat opposite me and frowned before looking back at sean nervously.

"i was...i got stood up. so now i'm eating alone." he looked down at the floor and I noticed that he hadn't stopped shuffling his feet since he came over to me.

"i'm sorry about that." he mumbled.

"it's fine..." another awkward silence followed. I looked towards the door and pointed.

"your girlfriend...why did she leave?" my heart sank a little when I spoke to him about his girlfriend. his smile faded and he let out a loud sigh before looking at me with sad eyes.

"we've been arguing today...a lot. she didn't feel like staying." I was worried she had left because she saw me, and even with him telling me otherwise, it didn't convince me that that wasn't true.

"are you gonna go after her?" I asked, wondering if I would have to say goodbye now.

"i should...i was getting up to go find a waiter and tell them to cancel our orders...she's taken the car so i'll need to call an uber too..." the fact that he said he should implied that he didn't want to go chasing after gab. he sounded pretty tired. like he'd been running around after her a lot lately. I felt bad for him.

"i'm sorry you two have been arguing." he smiled at me weakly.

"it's okay. i'm sorry you got stood up by your date." I smiled at him and shook my head.

"it's fine. i'm not that bothered to be honest." he raised an eyebrow at me.

"you're not?" I shook my head.

"why?"

"i'm just not really interested in any of these guys i'm meeting. they're all...I don't know how to explain it." i absolutely knew how to explain it. I just couldn't tell him. he nodded his head and looked around the room before sighing and looking back at me.

"well...i should probably go find a waiter and cancel my order. and then call an uber and wait for that to arrive..."

"it's pretty late. wouldn't an uber take forever to get to you?" he gave me a weak smile before pulling out his phone, presumably to check the time, and then putting it back in his pocket.

"i haven't got any other options." he said before waving at me and slowly walking away. I tried my hardest to fight my impulses to stop him, but the urge was too strong. I couldn't just let him leave. not again.

"wait!" i yelled, attracting the attention of not only sean, but other visitors to the restaurant. he turned to face me, walking towards me slightly.

"i could give you a lift home. it would save you having to wait around for an uber." at first he didn't react, as if he was unsure of what i'd just told him. maybe that was too bold of a move for me to make.

"that's really kind of you...but I don't want to give you any trouble."

"it's no trouble, really! i'd rather take you home myself than have you wait a long ass time for an uber." I knew what else I wanted to offer him, but I needed to see if he would accept this first. it took him a while to respond, but eventually he smiled at me and nodded.

"um...okay, thanks. i'll just go cancel my order..." I took a deep breath and stopped him before he could walk away. this was a really bold move, but I had to make it if I wanted to get anywhere with him.

"you don't have to do that." he turned around once more, looking incredibly confused.

"i...i don't?" I shook my head and felt myself start to blush at the thought of even asking him this.

"just go change your table number...you could sit here and eat with me if you want...I can take you back home when we're done." at first he looked taken aback and shocked, but then the emotions on his face started to show that he was feeling quite joyful about my offer. he nodded and thanked me.

"you're too kind. i'll be right back. thanks ethan." I smiled at him and chuckled slightly.

"you're welcome sean."