The Accident

Rocky pov

I was playing tug-of-war with Zuma in the backyard, it was a cool winter day. I'm surprised it's not snowing right now, but, what can i do? "Alwight dude, weady to lose?!" He asked. I just gridded my teeth to get more of a grip on the toy. I saw Everest playing around with Marshall, i felt so weird...

"Dude..." Zuma said. It brought me back to reality and he was about to win and i was nearly about to land on the mud. Zuma then gave a mighty pull and i lost grip of the toy. "Whoa!" I shouted as i landed on the mud, face first. Zuma laughed and i got off of the mud. I heard the other pups laughing and Chase asked. "I saw that, Rocky, what were you looking at?"

"Yeah, dude, so some pup catch your eye?" Zuma teased. Yes, she did catch my eye, but she's dating Marshall and i can't do anything about it. "Just leave me alone." I said as i walked away. I was still dirty, and i knew i was going to have to take a bath.

I looked at Everest and she didn't even notice what happened. I looked at Ryder, who was tweaking out his ATV, and i walked towards him. I looked back at Everest as i walked away and saw Marshall kiss her... I sighed and i bumped into Ryder, making his pants dirty.

Ryder took his head out and said. "Rocky, what happened, you're a mess." Ryder informed me as i sat down and kicked a rock. "I fell on the mud." I told him. He wiped the mud off his pants and he put on an apron he happened to have. "Come on, i'll take you to Katie's." He said as he picked me up.

He started walking towards Katie's as i looked at Everest. She looked so perfect, too perfect for a mutt like me... I whimpered as i felt a shattering felling on my heart. "Don't worry, Rocky, the bath isn't so bad." He said as we went down the hill, taking Everest off my view.

"That's not it, Ryder..." I said as a seagull passed by. "Well, what is it then?" He asked.

I sighed and said. "Promise not to tell anyone?" I looked at him and he nodded. "Well i've liked Everest ever since the first day we met her, and now she's dating Marshall. I was going to tell her but he won. Besides, she wouldn't like an ugly mutt like me..." I told him as my tear landed on his arm.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Rocky, but you're not ugly. I'm sure she would like you." He said, trying to cheer me up. "Easy for you to say..." I replied as we entered Katie's.

"Hey Ryder, Rocky needs a bath again?" Katie said as Ryder set me down. "Yup." Ryder responded.

Katie got the bath started and i jumped right in. "You're not scared of getting wet anymore?" Katie said with a smile. The water was up to my tail, not that high yet. "Yeah, i found out something worse..." I told her with my head down.

"What happened?" She asked as Ryder stood next to Katie as she got soap for me. "My new fear is heartbreak." I said as she started to wash me up. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asked. I shook my head and i just closed my eyes. The only thing i could see was the kiss that Everest had with Marshall.

Maybe i am an ugly mutt. I bet if i confessed first, she would have said no and yes to Marshall anyways...