Twenty - Six

The smell of pancakes filled my nose as I raced down the stairs. My favorite breakfast as a kid and I knew Maura remembered.

"Morning" Maura smiles stirring a bowl from the kitchen "did you sleep alright?"

"Morning" I pulled her in to a one armed hug "Yeah, for the most part" I didn't want to bring up my nightmare. I already burdened Niall with them I don't need to burden her. I scanned around the room looking for Niall but seeing him no where. "Um where's Niall?"

"oh sweetheart, just like old days. You two always attached by the hip" she started pouring pancake batter in a pan.

I blushed. Nervously giggling.

"He's out back, he wouldn't leave you"

"I know" I smiled picking up a rag and wiping spilled batter off the counter

"thanks for letting me stay here last night. I know it's probably weird seeing me after awhile"

"Honey I know I can't take responsibility for my son actions, he's an adult but I can see he really misses you."

"I really missed him too" I opened a cupboard grabbing a plate and setting it next to the griddle.

"I don't know what he did to drive you guys apart but recently he's been the happiest I've seen him be in awhile." She flips the pancakes with a smile.

"Thank you mum, I messed up too, it wasn't all him." I leaned on the counter, resting my elbows. "You really raised a wonderful man"

She turned to me with tears in her eyes. Placing the finished pancakes on the plate.

"Oh no don't cry" I pulled her into a hug

"I love you sweetheart" she wiped her tears 

"I love you too" a tear escaping

"What's going on here?" Niall now entered the kitchen. Walking to the fridge to grab a water.

"Oh nothing" I joked pulling away from Maura whipping my tear. Hoping Niall didn't see.

He walked over to the heaping plate of pancakes about to snatch one but his hand slapped away by his mothers.

"Ow mum!"

I laughed only to receive a playful glare from Niall. I saw his eyes glance to the batter dish and knew exactly what he was thinking. The same thing we did when we were younger. A food fight. He dipped his finger before swiping it on my nose.

"Niall James" I whined

"That's for laughing at my pain" he chuckled licking the remnants of batter from his finger

"Then what is this for" I grabbed his face nuzzling my nose on his check. Spreading batter all over his face. Niall was about to stick his finger back in batter before his mother stopped him.

"Alright you two that's enough" she was trying to act stern but had a smile on her face "Kids will be kids. Now go set the table please"

Niall threw me a towel after cleaning his own face off. He left to set the table leaving me and Maura for a second. I finished whipping my face. Handing to towel to Maura with a smile.

"See what I mean" she said as I was leaving the kitchen.

He's made me happier too. I had to admit I completely forget about Hudson for a moment but my phone ringing bringing me right back to reality. I looked down at the name on my screen. Hudson. I froze.

If I didn't answer him he would be pissed. If I did I know I would just go crawling back to him. I haven't had enough time to think about my next move. I felt safe with Niall. But all I ever known was my life with Hudson. I'm sure we could work on our relationship. Make it work. I could stop being annoying, pushing his buttons. And he will stop hurting me. It's part my fault we weren't working. I could listen to him more. Be a better girlfriend.

Niall seemed to notice my sudden mood swing and rushed over to me. He looked at my phone before snatching it from my hand and answering.

"Hello Hudson" he was biting back anger. He walked outside so his mother wouldn't hear him yelling I'm sure. I followed him like a coward. Like a little girl in trouble.

"What are you doing answering my girlfriends phone?" His voice through the phone even sent shivers down my spine.

"Why does it matter" Niall spat

"Why is she at your house?" I could tell by Hudsons tone he was getting angry. A familiar tone. I looked up at Niall. His demeanor softening when he saw me. Arms crossed across my chest. Shaking. He reached out placing a comforting arm on my shoulder. His thumb rubbing circles calming me down.

"We are working on my set for work. She's helping me with some song arrangements" Niall lied for me. I know he didn't want to but for him I was thankful. Sometimes it's easier to lie. Especially to Hudson.

"Alright " Hudson must have believed it "need some more help? I can head over in a bit"

"No we are good"

Hudson was quiet. I prepared myself for his answer. Knowing he's probably already on his way to Nialls house.

"Tell her I'll see her at work tonight then" Hudson replied catching me off guard. It wasn't like him to let me hang out with Niall. I know he hates his guts. I wonder why this time is different. If I would have to pay for it later. 

Niall hung up the phone before handing it back to me.

"You don't have to go to work tonight, I can call Connor for you"

"No I've already missed to much this month" I took my phone back shoving it in my pocket. " I need to go"

"Connor will understand"

"You think I'm just going to tell my boss my boyfriend raped me and I can't work because I might see him?" Niall removed his hand from my shoulder shocked that I brought it up so openly.

"Love, he's more then your boss, he's your friend" he sighed "and you need time to heal. Time to think about things. If you don't take that time it will all come crashing down on you"

I looked up at him catching his eyes. He was wrong. I couldn't leave my friends short staffed. Work is a priority. And getting back to normalcy is what I needed. I can worry about my health later.

"I'm not using my relationship problems with Hudson as an excuse for not working" I opened the back door and returned to setting up the table in silence.