❀ 𝑶𝑵 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑷𝑯𝑶𝑵𝑬

calling them while they're on tour (hc)

'60s

john
• because john was always seen as such a goofball in public, it surprised everyone that he grew so sober over the phone.
• you'd call him up after finding the number for the hotel they were rooming at and he'd start with a "hi, birdy" all sweet and gentle-like. the other boys would run to the nearest phone to catch him through another line, giggling as they crowded stiffly around the small speaker that paul kept close to his ear.
• he'd have you flustered in minutes with his smooth i miss yous and you drive me crazys
• soon enough, paul would be twirling the wire around his finger and fluttering his eyelashes, mouthing "oh, john" to ringo who would puff his chest out mockingly and lean against the nearby wall and mouth "oh, (y/n)" back to him while george laughed like mad.
• "alright, love, i've gotta go now" he'd say and you'd beg him to stay on the line a little longer, but he would explain that they had an early morning ahead, so they had to go to bed, and you'd oblige remorsefully.
• as soon as the two of you hang up, though, the other three would burst into the room and fall on top of john, moaning and sighing in jest.
• he'd shove them all off and grumble to himself, totally embarrassed.

paul
he'd love talking to you. he'd listen to you for hours every night if the others didn't have to make calls. when you'd reach him, he'd ask you about your day and you'd completely vent to him
• "so i..."
• "yeah?"
• "and then we..."
• "yeah?"
• he'd be on the edge of his seat, almost clutching the phone with both hands. you'd think he was listening to some sort of breaking news on the radio.
• the other boys, of course, would be in the room with him as this occurred either getting undressed or pacing about aimlessly or scribbling out some potential lyrics at the small writing desk.
• but no matter what they were doing, they'd groan obnoxiously whenever paul got the phone first because there was no telling when he'd get off.
• each of them would find time to poke at him or try to snatch the phone away and get their chance to speak, or see how you were doing, but most of the time they'd grab it and all you could hear was paul's struggle in the background followed by a "sorry, love! he's got to call you in the morning, buh-bye!" and then a brutal clicking sound disconnecting you from the other line.

george
• somehow george was the only one that could ever find some privacy during his calls. he'd lay up in bed, holding the cradle on his stomach while you both talked about the tour and how you two were doing.
• "you missed it, i made this great stew the other night," you'd muse and he'd whine about how he missed your cooking and say something like
• "well, did you save any for me?"
• and you'd roll your eyes and laugh out a "no! you should've thought of that before you left me to be this big star!"
• he'd laugh too and you'd both laugh and then it'd get quiet and he'd tap on the dials, biting his lip when he realized you were probably thinking the same thing.
• "i need you bad, george," you'd sigh and his eyes would scan the bedroom door briefly before sitting up a little more,
• "how bad?"

ringo
• now, with ringo, he'd call you first. usually at some payphone in the hotel if he wasn't able to get a phone upstairs. you'd always wait up for him since it was usually pretty late when he called and you could always hear the smile on his face once you finally answered.
• the call wouldn't be too long given the circumstances, but he'd always leave you waiting for the next call which may or may not come because he may or may not have forgotten.
• "you have to promise me you won't forget next time. will you promise me?"
• "i promise, honey. do you believe me?"
• you'd give a few seconds to mull it over, letting out a childish huff and pouting, though you knew he couldn't see it.
• "i guess," you'd say, figuring you were probably eating up his time
• "good... you my girl?" he'd ask and you knew this meant he was about to go.
• "yeah" you'd mutter quietly, blushing.
• he'd tell you he loved you and he'd call you again soon and you returned each of his remarks and blew a kiss into the phone which he caught in his fist and put into his pockets for later.