Chapter 6 - Fortune after Misfortune

Chi had arisen even earlier than the Sol for her daily morning exercise. When Vincere awoke, the Sol had risen, shining with radiant. He was no longer grumbling that Chi was glad that he had forgotten his embarrassment. "Good morning, Chi. Let's have breakfast, hope it's not the beans or muesli again." They packed their belongings and headed to Kinma City to find any low-cost meal near the city. Before they entered the city, each one had a drop of transformation water and had their appearance transformed to those like Nuwa and Vertucour.

"Guess we will be eating here," said Chi, pointing to a food stall after they spent some time searching in the marketplace.

Out from nowhere, a shadow flashed before Chi, and her bag was snatched from her shoulder.

"Hey!" Chi turned her head – it was Zhu Ming, and he sprinted really fast. "It's him again." Chi sighed and began to sprint after him, followed by Vincere. "Theft!" They both ran and shouted, but no one seemed to care. Perhaps thievery always happened here.

Chi and Vincere raced behind Ming. Skywolf can bolt really fast, but they managed to follow behind... the duo chased Zhu Ming northward until they reached a vast field near a village farm.

Ming stopped.

Chi and Vincere began to slow their speed and stopped. Her breathing was slow and deep. She was controlling her breath as her abdomen expanding and contracting in an alternative. Vincere panted heavily, and he could not support himself well. Zhu Ming could able to control his breathing. After some time, he turned to face Chi and Vincere.

"Demoness and theft!" said Zhu Ming.

"How do you know we are here?" said Chi with a great shock and disbelieve.

"I'm a hunter and a skywolf, you remember?" said Zhu Ming, "I can track your scent and footpath."

"You're too observant for a hunter, aren't you?" said Vincere.

"Yes. I had brought new weapons with the reward when I turned you to the town guard, Chi." Zhu Ming jerked out his crossbow and attached the crossbow with long strips of ammunition. This is Zhuge-X, the latest automatic-reloading crossbow. It fires and reloads very fast and..."

"And what?" said Vincere.

"And say hello to my little friend!" And Zhu Ming launched a hail of bolts. But Chi and Vincere had already sprinted for cover.

Hail of bolts was chasing after them as Chi and Vincere were running. Swoosh and thudding as the bolts swept fast on-air and hit the ground. Though Vincere ran in the same direction, but Zhu Ming targeted only her. Perhaps she was Zhu Ming's only target for avenging the death of his skywolves' brethren. Chi realized the bolts were a little faster than the arrow and the best way to be alive is to keep running. After running for some time, she realised that running is not the best option that she decided to face Zhu Ming instead. While running, she concentrated energy on her right palm and hurled the mass of energy toward Zhu Ming... it hit Zhu Ming right on his chest. He flew backwards and landed many feet away. His crossbow broke his fall and landed with a crack.

"Good job, Chi!" said Vincere. He was so glad that Chi managed to handle Zhu Ming and stopped next to Chi.

Zhu Ming pulled himself up and triggered the crossbow but nothing come out. He triggered again with several clicks, back nothing comes out. "Rubbish!" And he threw away the broken machine and drew out two magnum guns. "These are MV-100. It fires faster than that junk crossbow... and prepare to die!" He aimed at Chi and Vincere and pulled the trigger... several bullets buzzing toward them.

The bullets were much swifter than the bolts... and Chi and Vincere had to run again. Luckily, there was a water tower for both Chi and Vincere to take cover. They both ran for it and hid from Zhu Ming. But Zhu Ming kept firing them, but the bullets hit the wooden tower support.