Chapter Nine - Subdued Storm

Okay frick the rotation I got hit with inspiration to actually... yknow... write?

— — —

Cub and Scar ran up to Mumbo, worried looks plastered on their faces. Cub put a hand on his shoulder. "Woah, okay, kiddo, calm down, take it easy!" Scar looked over at the four hermits who were standing by awkwardly, sighing. "I think you should go..." He didn't mean it harshly. Mumbo just wasn't in the right state of mind to talk to them.

X nodded, as he took the other three away from the area. Grian didn't respond much, other than clipping on his elytra and flying off. Iskall followed, along with Joe, with help from Xisuma.

Mumbo didn't move from his position as the thunder raged. He stood glaring in the direction the group of hermits had fled, not quite knowing what to do next.

Suddenly, lightning struck almost directly next to them, a little too close for comfort. Scar jumped, before pushing the other two inside. "We're going inside to talk about this!"

~ ~ ~

"Now, if you don't mind... Explain."

Mumbo looked up to meet Cub's eyes. The older vex did a good job at hiding his emotions. Scar, however, had this worried look. Mumbo looked away, guilty.

"I... I got mad, and I don't know what happened... I shouldn't have lashed out."

"Mumbo, we know that much and we don't blame you!" Scar say next to Mumbo on the bed, wrapping one arm around his shoulder.

"I want to know, however; Why wouldn't you tell us you figured out atkomonisis?" Cub stared directly into his eyes, almost like he could see through him. The grey orbs were sharp, and didn't break contact. Mumbo felt anxious looking at them.

He can't know.

"I- Uh... I just... didn't want to bother you...?"

Scar sighed. "Mumbo, you're never a bother to us! You should have just told us you worked it out... You don't have to hide it. Why would you, anyway?" Mumbo looked down, guilty. Scar pulled Mumbo closer to him again, hugging him in almost a parental way.

Cub stood, arms crossed, trying to suss out Mumbo.

Something.

Something was off.

~ ~ ~

"Im telling you Scar, something's up!"

"You can't say that, Cub. You know Mumbo's struggling..."

"I know, but I feel like somethings wrong! I don't want anyone to get hurt, or worse. I don't want to lose him. And I... don't want to lose you..."

"Oh, Cub... I'll always be with you, no matter what. Nothings going to stop me from being by your side."

"Eh- Don't get mushy with me now..."

...

"Thank you, anyway."

"No problem. But please, let go of your suspicions. Mumbo's a good guy, he's trying his hardest!"

"Fine, but only for you. I'm still keeping an eye on the kid, though, just in case. Don't want something bad to happen... I gotta protect him."

"Of course you will, Cub... heh."

— — —

Kinda filler again but I promise things get GOOD from the next chapter