Happy Birthday

A/N - Also I forgot to say something yesterday but yesterday (May 22nd) was the day John's mother passed. Press F to pay respects. Also forgot to mention that I'll tell y'all what the last succulent is named at the next Q&A so please suggest your names and ask your questions!

ALSO ANYKA...........................................................grand theft auto

John's POV

   I yawned and sat up. Great...I felt my arms itching and I frowned. I looked at my arms to see 'Happy Birthday' on each arm with hearts and '19' scribbled everywhere. I chuckled and grabbed my phone, calling Alex. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" He squealed immediately.
   "Thanks, baby." 
   "How about we go off campus for lunch? Since we can't go out tonight?" 
   "I don't know. Please don't make a big deal at school?"
   "Ok. I won't. Scouts honor." He chirped.
   "I love you." 
   "I'll see you soon!" 

   Alex clambered into the car and grabbed my collar, pulling me into a kiss. I blushed and stared at him. "What?" He paused and cocked his head to the side. "Wait, how are you nineteen?" I chuckled and started driving. 
   "I flunked the third grade." Alex nodded and smiled. 
   "If it's any consolation I home schooled myself." 
   "Impressive."
   "I learned on thing...I'm a fucking idiot." We laughed and I smiled. I love Alex so much. He's so cute and sweet. I want to be with him forever. I'm happy to say he's boyfriend. We pulled up to the school and the group wished my a happy birthday and hugs were given all around. Alex kissed me a couple times and I picked him up bridal style and sat on a bench with him in my lap, just holding him. I put my head on his chest and his ran his fingers through my hair. "How does it feel to be nineteen?" He asked quietly.
  "Why do people always ask that? I don't know. I don't feel different." Alex giggled and kissed my head. "I love you, baby." 
   "I know." He mumbled, I rubbed his thigh and he shifted a bit. "Don't do that." 
   "Why not?"
   "Cause it's weird. Do the other one." I laughed and started rubbing his left thigh. 
   "I think you're beautiful, Kitten."

   "Dad, where are we going?" I sighed.
   "What part of surprise do you not understand?" He chuckled.
   "Ok, well-...never mind."
   "No, what?" I huffed and stared out the window. 
   "We've never done anything on my birthday and suddenly you have surprise for me?" Dad sighed and turned on the blinker. 
   "John...I love you...You know that, right?" 
   "Yeah, I know." I mumbled, leaning against the window. 
   "I'm sorry we never did anything for your birthday but we can start." I sighed and nodded. "Backseat." I frowned and he chuckled. "Backseat!" I sighed and leaned back, fishing around. I pulled a small box out of the backseat and fixed my seat belt.
   "What is it?"
   "Open it." I frowned and pulled the wrapping paper off. I opened the small box and I felt tears tug at my eyes. 
   "Is this-"
   "Eleanor's necklace." He confirmed, I sniffed and smiled a bit. It was a small golden padlock on a golden chair. Dad started to take something off his wrist and he handed it to me. It was a similar bracelet with a golden key. "This has been passed down through your mother's family for years. It's always given to the eldest when they find their soulmate. It's sort of...a promise to be true." He smiled. "I still remember the day she gave it to me. She thought I would hate it but it became my most precious possession. Now I'm passing it to you." I smiled and dad parked the car in the literal middle of nowhere. 
   "Thanks, dad." I hugged him and he smiled. 
   "Get out."
   "Where are we?" 
   "Get out." Dad grinned, I got out and he started driving off. I huffed and kicked a rock. 
   "Hey, babe." I wiped around and found Alex sitting on a rock. 
   "I thought you were-...Oh." Alex giggled and made his way over to me. 
   "Surprised?" He grinned.
   "Very."
   "Follow me." He smiled, we walked down a trail and Alex had a bit of difficulty so I stopped him. I bent down and hoisted him up on my back. He squeaked and wrapped his arms around my neck. "Really?"
   "Really, really."
   "Don't drop me." I chuckled and held his thighs tightly as he held his crutches. "Go through there."He pointed to a bunch of tears and I sighed. We made our way through to a clearing and Alex grinned. "Tada!"
   "Is that my truck?"
   "Yes." He giggled.
   "You can drive?"
   "No, but the sisters can."
   "Wow, you got everyone in on this?"
   "Yup!" He grinned, I carried him to the truck and he started climbing in the bed. I frowned and saw the heap of blankets and pillows along with the mound of food on the toolbox. 
   "What's all this?"
   "Happy birthday, Jacky." He smiled, leaning over and pressing a kiss on my lips. "Get up here!" I climbed in and Alex grinned. I sat next to him and he bounced a bit. "Ok! I know Martha said not to get you anything too big but-" He pulled out a box and handed it to me.
   "Oh, god. Alex, you didn't have to get me anything."
   "I wanted too." He smiled, I sighed and unwrapped it. It was an expensive set of paints and brushes. I gasped and stared at him. 
   "Alex, how did you-"
   "I baby sat for George a few times."
   "He has kids?" 
   "Not his own. He fosters little ones sometimes." 
   "Thank you, baby." I smiled, kissing him. "But I didn't need you to get me anything. You're the only gift I need." I smiled, Alex giggled and cuddled up next to me with a huge bucket of cheese balls. "Are you ever not eating?" I teased.
   "I'm trying to grow a new leg." He hummed nonchalantly, looking up at he stars.
   "I'm sorry, fucking what?" Alex started giggling and looked up at me. 
   "My doctor says I need to eat more. I'm a stick."
   "I happen to think you're a cute stick."
   "I'm malnourished."
   "A very cute malnourished stick." Alex giggled and we laid down, staring up at the stars. "Hey, I have something for you."
   "What?" Alex frowned, rolling over and putting his head on my shoulder and a hand on my chest. I dug in my pocket and pulled out my mother's necklace. Alex's frown deepened and I smiled. 
   "It was my mother's. There's a matching bracelet."
   "Oh, John." Alex sat up a bit and I smiled.
   "Let me finish." He smiled and laid back down on my chest. "It's apparently passed through my family when the oldest finds their soulmate. It's a promise...to be true...but I'm adding to it." I clipped the golden chain around Alex's neck and he blushed. "I'm promising to be by your side through thick and thin forever. I won't be a dick and I will not leave you like your father. I promise." Alex smiled and kissed me gently. 
   "Thank you." He smiled. "It's beautiful."
   "I have the other half." I showed him the golden key and he helped me clip it around my wrist. We fell into a comfortable silence and watched the stars. It was calming and nice. I found myself looking at Alex more the stars. 
   "Hey, John?" He asked quietly.
   "Hm?"
   "I love you."