3. A Wolf

"Ed, keep your sword point -. Ed? Ed? Edmund?! Ed, are you listening? You're not even paying attention!" Peter looked at his brother curiously.

       "What?Oh,sorry." Edmund mumbled. "Continue without me. I need to go and clear my head." Edmund said before heading towards the forest. 

     "Okay, umm....Don't be late back!" Peter called after him. "Wherever you're going." He muttered under his breath.

       "Peter?"

    Peter turned round and found Lucy standing behind him with a small bag in her hands.

         "Where's Edmund?" She asked, frowning a little.

    "Off into the forest. Said he needed to clear his head." Peter answered. Lucy nodded.

         "Lu, do me a favour and go after him. I'll tell Susan where you went." Peter sighed, running his hand through his hair.

    Lucy brightened up at this and dashed off into the forest. "We'll be fine! Don't worry!" She called back. Peter chuckled. "Okay! But don't be late back, or Susan will kill me!" He yelled after her.

       Lucy eventually found Edmund sitting by the edge of a lake in a huge clearing. Flowers grew in patches here and there and the lake was in the center. 

      She walked silently towards him.

         "Edmund?" She asked, putting a hand on his shoulder making him jump. "It's just me." She smiled, sitting down next to her. 

     Silence followed as niether knew what to say at first.

         "I take it Peter sent you?" Edmund smirked, glancing at Lucy before looking back down at his hands. "Mhmm!" Lucy giggled.

     "Are you hungry? I brought food." She said, pointing to her bag. Edmund nodded and Lucy got out a couple of apples.

        "How did you find this place?" Lucy asked, munching on her apple.

   "I found it a few weeks ago while I was exploring the forest," Edmund explained, "I come here whenever I need to clear my head. Well, either here or the beach."

      "How's your head?" Lucy asked. 

    "My head?" Edmund turned to look at her, genuinely confused. "You hit your head yesterday in the library, remember?" Lucy explained.  "Oh, right. I hardly notice the gash there any more. I'd forgotten about it. It's fine."

     He lay down on the ground and shut his eyes. He would never tell anyone that he had been up most of the night. And he was really tired. 

    Lucy lay down next to him. "I wonder if Aslan will come for Christmas? What do you think Ed? Ed?" Lucy turned her head to find that he had fallen asleep. 

      She smiled and cuddled next to him, falling asleep as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      A twig snapped and Lucy's eyes flew open.

  She sat up and rubbed her eyes. The sun had already started to set and Edmund was still asleep. He must be really tired,  Lucy thought. 

   Suddenly a wolf appeared through the trees and looked straight at them.

       "E-Edmund? W-Wake up!" Lucy shook her brother awake, keeping her eyes on the wolf the whole time. 

    "W-What?" Edmund mumbled sleepily, sitting up.