7. Avalanche, Marriage Proposals & A Panic Attack

For the next few days, Edmund was busy with treaties and court cases. But whenever he was done, he would always be with Philip, Lance and Avalanche.

       Peter stood at one of his bedroom windows, one morning, looking down over the courtyard, where Edmund was with Lance and Avalanche. Philip was nearby ready to call for help just in case Edmund should be in trouble.

      I wonder how Ed is with the snow?  Peter though, turning back to the mound of paper work on his desk.  I do hope he'll be fine for Christmas. Lucy would be very upset and unhappy if he should miss it. 

      Edmund so far was fine with the snow, though Peter had noticed that he would sometimes hesitate to go out. Though Lance and Avalanche would coax him to come out. 

   Avalanche, though, seemed to be able to get Edmund to do anything.

     Peter had noticed that the fox always followed Edmund around and sit anywhere as near as possible, sometimes even on Edmund's lap.  Peter smiled at memory of yesterdays court meetings.

      The fox had sat himself on Edmund's lap and had fallen asleep. The meeting was about a couple of dwarfs who were arguing about a tree that was planted in between their farms. One dwarf wanted the tree removed and re planted somewhere else while the other dwarf wanted the tree to stay where it was.   

     The meeting went on for at least 2 hours, and Avalanche had been asleep for half the time.  Peter turned to Edmund for advice, asking what he should do.

     Edmund had opened his mouth to speak, when Avalanche pawed him and said something in his ear. (Avalanche had just learned how to talk the day before.)  Edmund had then smiled and turned to Peter to give the suggestion.

       The suggestion went like so:  The tree was to be replanted, but not in between the two farms. Instead, it was to be replanted on the side of the dwarf who wanted the tree to stay. 

         Avalanche, according to everyone, was a great companion for Edmund.  They were always together, Lance joining them when we could, which was most of the time, and whenever they were outside Philip would join them.

     "What are you thinking about?"

  Peter jolted and snapped his head round to find Lucy standing beside him.

      "Oh, Lu. I was thinking about Edmund and Avalanche." Peter put his pen down, since he wasn't even using it.

    "Oh yes! Avalanche! He's absolutely adorable!" Lucy beamed. "You know, I'm surprised Edmund would have a wolf in his entourage." 

     "Why?" Peter looked at curiously.

  "Because wolves remind him of the White Witch, remember? I was pretty shocked when he asked Lance to stay for lunch that day. Especially after his outburst the day before that." Lucy said, smiling as she saw Edmund outside with his 'entourage'.

       "I was pretty shocked too. But Edmund seems to trust Lance, or he wouldn't be close friends with him." Peter joined her at the window, seeing his brother chasing after Avalanche.

    "Friendship can go a long way." Lucy said softly.  

        Lucy turned to look at some of the papers on Peter's desk.  "Is this a marriage proposal for Edmund?! Peter, you're not going to say yes, are you? He's only 11!" Lucy looked horrified.

         "Of course I'm not going to say yes, Lu! I really can't believe that they are actually serious." Peter joined her and picked up another sheet of paper.  "This one's yours." He said, handing it over to her.