12. Hurtful Words Are Sharper Then Swords

"Peter, there are some dwarfs in the throne room that have requested a meeting with us! They're arguing about goodness knows what!" Susan was slightly out of breath.

       Peter sighed. "Might as well go see what they want."

   They made their way down to the throne room where three dwarfs stood arguing in front of the dais.

     Sitting down in their thrones, Peter addressed them.

 "Right, what seems to be the matter?" He asked.

      "We have decided build a house for a friend for their birthday and we can't decide where to build it. We've narrowed it down to three of the dwarfs favourite spots and we can't make up our minds!" A dwarf with an axe said.

    "I suggested in a meadow -"

    "I suggested the hills-"

     "I suggested the forest-"

  "But the meadow is the nicest of the three!" A dwarf with a red cap argued.

  "No, the hills are nicer!" A dwarf with a dagger shouted.

      "I keep telling you that the forest is a much better place!" The dwarf with the axe shouted at them.

      Edmund and Peter looked at each other, amused and slightly bewildered.

  "Umm, Ed? What do you think they should do?" Peter turned to his younger brother.

     Silence fell in the room as Edmund looked from Peter to the dwarfs in front of him. He bit his lip and thought of a solution.

    "Well, they could ask their friend which one is the top favourite spot without giving anything away about birthday surprises..." Edmund said slowly.

      Again, silence fell as everyone could see that the Just King was thinking.

  The silence was broken when one of the dwarfs spoke up.

      "I will take no advice from a traitor who pretends to be king."

  Everyone turned to look at the dwarf who had spoken.

        "What. Did. You. Just. Say?!" Peter's eyes flashed dangerously as he stood up, placing a hand on the hilt of his sword.

     "Peter....." Edmund whispered quietly.

   "I said, I will take no advice from a traitor who pretends to be king." The dwarf repeated.

      Peter drew his sword and pointed it at the dwarfs neck.

 "Peter!"

       Everyone turned to look at Edmund who had risen from his throne,  shaking all over and as  white as snow.

     "That's enough! There is no need to kill them! Just.. leave it." Edmund stared at his brother.

 "But Ed -" Peter started.

  "Pete, I said that's enough! Leave it!" Edmund said firmly before running out the room.

    "Ed!" Peter called after him.

        "Give him some space, Peter. He needs some time on his own." King Lune laid a hand on Peter's shoulder.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

   Edmund slammed the door to his room and leaned against it, shaking.

      You have a traitor in your midst....

      Every traitor belongs to me...

      He sold you out... for sweeties....

      That boy will die on the stone table... as is tradition...

      All traitors deserve to die.....

          Tears ran down his cheeks as he grabbed a few things and shoved them into a bag.

    'I don't belong here.' Edmund thought, as he put his cloak on.

      He took his crown off and put it on his bed with a note.

   He took his bag and opened the balcony door, shivering as the wind blew into the room.

      'I'm sorry Pete...' Edmund looked back into the room before using some rope to get down to the ground.

     He ran to the stable and got Philip saddled up.

    Philip looked questioningly at the boy, noting the tears that ran down the boy's cheeks. He said nothing just in case, but was worried about what the boy was planning.

     "Lance? Avalanche?" Edmund called softly.

    The two appeared and Edmund picked Avalanche up and placed him in his saddle bags.

        "What are you doing, Ed?" Lance looked puzzled.

    "Getting away from here." Edmund answered, swinging up on to his horse.

     "What?! Edmund, you can't do that!" Lance and Philip protested together.

          "Look, I don't belong here! Aslan and my brother and sisters may have forgiven me, as well as some Narnians. But others haven't. To them, I'm still a traitor, a boy who sold his sisters friend out for sweets and nearly got his family executed! Are you coming or not? Cause face it, I don't belong here." Edmund by this time had left the stables and was now waiting at a secret exit by the west wall, looking back at Lance who stood, hesitating.

     Eventually, Lance nodded.

 "I'm really sorry Pete, but I really don't belong here." Edmund whispered, looking back at the castle before disappearing into the forest, Lance right by his side.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

   Finally!!! I was able to get this chapter out!!! Hope you enjoyed it!!! Sorry for the long wait, my laptop has been playing up. (Word Count: 812)

  I'll update as soon as I can!! :) :) :) :)

xxx Claire :)