16. Empress Mai

Edmund gasped when Vania opened the door to his room.

      "Wow!" He looked around, taking it all in.

         "Do you like it? It's the fanciest guest room we have." Vania said, giggling slightly.

    "I love it!" Edmund grinned, putting Thunder down who immediately stuck close to Edmund's heel.

    "I'll leave you for a few minutes to get settled, then I'll take you to my mum." Vania said.

  Edmund turned to look at her. "Thanks." He said, smiling.

     "No problem! If you need anything, my bedroom is at the end of the hall, which is only four doors down." Vania smiled. Edmund nodded.

    As soon as she left, Lance and Avalanche started grinning at him.

       "What?" Edmund asked, looking confused.

   "You like her, don't you?" Lance gave him a sly look, still grinning.

     "What?! N-no I don't! I-I mean, I like her as a friend, but nothing more." Edmund stammered, discarding his cloak and hanging it up in the wardrobe.

    "Oh really? Because it looks like you like her... a lot." Avalanche hopped up onto the bench at the end of the bed, following Edmund as he walked around the room.

  "N-no I don't!" Edmund said exasperatedly, "I only just met her, how can I like her already?"

       "That is besides the point, you really like her!" Lance grinned.

   "How many times do I have to tell you, she's just a friend!" Edmund frowned as he washed his face.  "Doesn't seem that way..." Avalanche chuckled.

    "Describe her to us." Lance ordered, biting back a choke of laughter.

  "Why?" Edmund turned to look at them.

    "Just do it." Avalanche smirked, getting the idea.

       "Ummm... she's got lovely golden hair, light blue eyes and a very pretty smile..." Edmund started, not realizing what was happening. "She's got a very gentle and sweet voice and when she giggles it sounds like bells."

     "SEE! THERE, WE KNEW YOU REALLY, REALLY LIKE HER!" Lance exploded.

   "W-wait! What did I just say?!" Edmund turned to them, a look of horror on his face. He tripped over Thunder in the rush to get at them. They just grinned at him.

      "Wait, I didn't mean... I didn't say....Argh! We're just friends!" Edmund groaned.

   "Hmmmm... whatever helps you sleep at night, your majesty." Lance and Avalanche said together, breaking out into laughter.