14. Ice Fairies

Edmund dismounted off Philip as they stopped by an absolutely frozen river deep in the forest.

     "Your brother will not be happy about this." Lance muttered, lying down in the snow.

   "I know, but I don't belong in Cair Paravel." Edmund sat, back against a tree as he hugged Avalanche to his chest.

       "So... what exactly are you going to do?" Lance turned to look at the boy. Philip also turned his head expectantly, waiting for the answer.

    "I don't know... Right now, I just want to get as far away as possible from Cair and the Narnians." Edmund whispered, eyes shut.

     The silence dragged on for a few minutes.

  "You belong in Cair just as much as your siblings. You may not realize it, but you are well loved. You got more wedding proposals, invitations to balls and requests to visit places then all of your siblings combined." Avalanche spoke up.

    "Yeah, probably to try and get me to marry one of their stuck-up, snobby, ridiculous princesses that spend their time shut up in doors sewing and embroidering, not wishing to get in the least bit dirty or run around hallways." Edmund muttered. 

      The other three tried to hide back a choke of laughter but failed miserably.

  Edmund frowned as he watched his friends laugh but eventually ended up laughing along with them.

   The sound of a twig snapping caught all their attention.

     "W-what was that?" Edmund whispered, slowly reaching down into his boot and drew out a dagger.

    A few minutes later, a puppy appeared from behind a tree.

 "Why does this seem to happen to me? First an arctic fox and now a puppy?!" Edmund muttered under his breath.

    "Hey little guy! It's alright, I won't hurt you." Edmund approached the puppy and picked it up. The dog looked like a Labrador, it's coat was a bronze type colour.

  "Will you keep it?"

  "What will you name it?"

  "It looks so cute!"

     Edmund turned to look at the other three in disbelief.

 "I'm not going to keep every single animal I come across in the forest! For goodness sake, I'll be running a zoo by the time Christmas is over!" Edmund said, exasperated.

   "What's a zoo?" Lance whispered to Philip. "I don't know. Probably one of the Spare Oom oddities."

     "Although, he does look cute.... fine I'll keep him. But this is the last one. Avalanche is enough trouble already!" Edmund smiled down at the puppy. "Hey!" Avalanche protested.

   "What will you name him?" Lance asked, coming nearer to take a good look at the puppy.

       "Ummm... I'll name him Thunder." Edmund decided, sitting back down.

    (This is a picture of the real life Thunder as a puppy. Thunder was my dog, and was the last of the four dogs I've had so far in my life. This chapter and the character of the puppy, Thunder, is dedicated to him. Thunder died last week and he was the sweetest and best dog I could ever ask for.)

)