10. "You Nearly Died!"

Avalanche entered the room a few moments later to find Edmund on his knees gasping and choking with tears running down his cheeks.

       "Edmund!" Avalanche exclaimed, running over to  the boy. 

   Cor woke up from his nap and started bawling as load as he could, surprisingly Corrin didn't wake up.  Avalanche looked at Edmund to the crib trying to desperately decide what to do.

        A few minutes later, voices could be heard out in the hall.  "What is going on? --- Who's crying? ---- What's all the noise? ----- Where's Ed? ---- Is something going on? ----- Peter, I think somethings wrong. ------ Ed? Is everything alright? ---- Peter, he's not answering. ----- Is he alright? ------ Ed?!"

      The door burst open and Peter barged in first. As soon as he saw Edmund his eyes went wide.

  "ED!" He gasped, at his brother's side in an instant. Edmund looked at him, his eyes pleading for him to help.

       "Breathe, Ed!" Peter clutched Edmund's shoulders. "In and out, Ed. Breathe, please!"

   King Lune crouched down next to Edmund.  "What-" He started, but was cut off.

       "Susan! Fetch some water!" Peter ordered.  "Ed, breathe!"   Susan ran out and came back with a goblet of water.

       Slowly, Edmund started to breath again, but his breathing was shaky.

  "What happened?" Peter looked at his brother with concern.  Edmund just pointed at the piece of paper next to him.  Peter picking it up, read it and grew angry.

      "Peter? What is it? What does it say?" Lucy asked, watching the look on Peter's face turn from concern to anger

    Peter said nothing as he handed her the note and sank back down next to Edmund and wrapped his arms round him.

     Lucy gasped and started sobbing. "Who would do such a thing?" She sobbed. Susan pried the note out of her grasp and read it.  "Jadis' followers?" She guessed.  Peter nodded. "I guess so."

       Peter handed Edmund the goblet of water. "Drink, Ed." He said softly. Edmund took it and drank it in less then ten seconds.  "Thanks" He smiled, his voice sounding choked.

         "Are you alright?" King Lune asked, concerned and having no clue what was going on.  Edmund nodded. "I'm fine -"

     "YOU'RE FINE?!" Peter exploded, "ED, YOU NEARLY DIED!"

    "Well I didn't. And I'm fine now." Edmund took a deep breath. 

        "It's a good thing Cor started crying. He barely ever cries and when he does, it's really loud." Queen Leah said, cradling the boy in her arms.  Edmund smiled a little.

      "Avalanche, please ask Lance the next time you see him that he must stay with you and Ed. And ask him to ask his fellow wolves to keep an eye out for any of the Witch's followers." Peter addressed the fox.  "As you wish, your majesty." Avalanche bowed his head.

        "Peter, I'm fine -"

  "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE FINE?!" Peter shouted, ignoring the looks Susan was giving him.  "Peter..." Susan warned, but he took no notice.  "YOU WERE CHOKING AND GASPING WHEN WE CAME IN! HOW CAN YOU SAY YOU'RE FINE?!"

       Edmund winced at the loudness of Peter's voice. King Lune draped an arm round Edmund's shoulders, giving Peter a questioning look. Peter took one look at Edmund and calmed down.

    "You nearly died, Ed!" Peter said a lot more softly, sinking to the ground and covering his face.

   "Well, I didn't." Edmund said softly, looking at Peter. "But you could have." Peter's voice was muffled.

         "Is everything all right?" King Lune questioned.

  His question was met with silence before Peter spoke up.

           "Since Ed's time with the White Witch, Ed has been having nightmares. It's worse now since it's winter, and if he looks at ice or anything that reminds him off the White Witch, he starts having panic attacks. He had one yesterday when he was outside and looked up at the icicles. He'll stay most of the time indoors as even the cold or the snow could trigger it." Peter moved closer to Edmund and engulfed him in a huge bear hug.

         "That's why I always have Lance and Avalanche with him so that someone is with him at all times." Peter's voiced cracked a little.

        "Before we came to Narnia, Winter was my favourite season. Now, it's both spring and summer." Edmund's voice came out in a whisper.

      "I had no idea, I'm sorry." King Lune said softly.

   Edmund shook his head. "There is nothing for you to apologize for." He gave him a small smile.  He liked King Lune, he was a bit like a second father to him. 

     "Lune, dear, maybe you should take the twins with you so that you Peter are with Edmund. I'll have some of our own guards hunt down whoever gave Edmund that note." Queen Leah suggested. 

      King Lune nodded. "That will be best. If that is alright with you, Peter?" 

   Peter nodded. He didn't want Edmund out of his sight.

       "Come on, it's warmer in the drawing room anyway." Peter helped Edmund get off the floor. 

   "I'll go tell Orious to look out for any of the Witch's followers." Lucy left the room, followed by Queen Leah and Susan. 

      King Lune took his two boys and followed Peter and Edmund out the room, pausing when he thought he saw something dash by the window but desided it was only a bird.....

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

   Hope you enjoyed the chapter!!!! And thank you so much for reading!!!!:) :) :) :)   I'll update as soon as I can!!! :) :) :) :)

xxx Claire :)