CHAPTER XI

''Hi Josh'', Macy scrambled beside him on the couch, her legs placed on his.

''Who dropped you home'', Josh was still hooked to the telly.

''My boss'', she tried not giving away anything more.

''Wow, has he got into your panties yet'', Josh giggled like a school girl.

''Jesus Christ! No, we just went for dinner so you better keep your imagination to yourself'', Macy admonished him.

It was midnight and Macy just couldn't sleep, her mind was clouded with William. He had been so different from the past few days, the meeting with Rupert, and the dinner. Pretty approachable, something that dint happen every day. Yet Macy dint miss the tinge of sadness she saw in his eyes when he had returned to the office, but she dint want to ask and push his boundaries. It would ruin how things were right now.

It had already been a week since William had given in for a dinner with Macy and things since then had been the same. As Macy bit the end of her pencil going through a document that needed proof reading, William waited for her to look up at him, but she remained absorbed.

William dint fail to notice how beautiful she actually was. Her eyebrows scrunched up as she skimmed through an error, her long skimpy fingers twirled the pencil between them and the manner in which she slightly bit the back of her pencil unconsciously, had William hitch a breath.

''You know staring is rude right'', Macy narrowed her eyes to tease him.

''Morning to you too'', he beamed as he took his seat and started working on his file regarding shipment agencies and their statistics.

''Macy, will you accompany me to the evening party at Rupert's. The party is just a formality, we will be there to discuss the expansion of our shipment agency'', William informed as a matter of fact.

''Ok Mr. Clark'', Macy agreed happily.

''Fuck the formality, call me William'', he always wanted to hear how his name would sound when it came off Macy's mouth.

''I prefer Mr. Clark'', Macy smirked and with this William's face fell but he knew he would never win if he started arguing with her.

The day flew by as both William and Macy were terribly surrounded by files, paperwork and meetings discussing the booming business in Seattle and chances in Detroit and Oregon.

''Macy, I suggest you take a leave now, we need to get ready. I'll pick you up in an hour'', Macy nodded and left the office.

Macy settled upon a backless black gown designed in satin with a subtle train, cinched perfectly at her waist and a thigh high slit. She wore her classic diamond drop earrings and a delicate diamond choker which belonged to her mother. Her hair pulled up in a messy bun with a little blush and mascara did the magic. She left the apartment wearing silver pumps.

William was already waiting by her building entrance and she tried hard not checking him out. A crisp black tuxedo donned his masculine body, his hair set back looking sleeker and the look that he was giving her could give her an aneurysm. He was looking more sensual than usual and what's more, they were grinning at each other like idiots.

''You're a goddess'', he whispered in her ears making her shiver spine down. Like a gentle man he pulled open the door for her to sit and adjust. Even the car ride was amusing since William was trying to relax Macy of her anxiousness about the party. She was never the one to visit such high end parties with people embezzling their money all over the place.

''You will be fine, just stay close to me'', he winked.

''Of course'', she smirked knowing very well he wouldn't leave her alone today.

''You know I feel like it's my prom from ages ago, I was equally dressed and nervous'', she smiled.

''And who exactly had the pleasure of being your prom'', he concentrated on the road.

''Oh, my then boyfriend, he was the captain of the college football team, a real charmer'', she beamed brighter than the sun to which William clenched his jaw.

''Really, prom's never been my thing, though are you two still in touch'', his grip tightened on the wheel.

''Sometimes, the last time I heard from him, he was getting married to the daughter of a local newspaper company in Oregon, he sounded happy, that's all'', William immediately relaxed and nodded to her reply.

They were in time for the party as cars entered the Shallow Mansion one after the other. The decoration at the entrance was marvelous. The party was indeed going to be held at a large scale and at that moment Macy was relieved for choosing the right dress for the evening.

''Mr. Clark'', a photographer caught William's attention and he pulled Macy by her waist for a snap, catching both her and the photographer by surprise. Wonderful his stupid stunt would have them all over the papers tomorrow, the new lady love of William Clark, the player, she thought bitterly.

The hall was vast and delicately decorated with crystal chandeliers, red paper lanterns and a purple carpet. The walls were engraved with scenes from the medieval times.

''Will and Macy what a pleasure having you both here together'', Rupert pulled William into a side hug and pecked Macy's cheek.

''Please make yourselves comfortable, you both are sitting with me'', Rupert excused himself to attend to a few other guests.

''Come'', William let his arm out for Macy to hold. The next few minutes was William exchanging a few pleasantries with company heads and CEOs. He introduced Macy to a few of them while just briefed her about some others. Anyways they were eyeing her recklessly and she pretty much figured that out and pushed herself closer to William.

''Stay by my side'', he sensed her discomfort while glaring at few men forcing them to stare away.

The table was set for 5, wrapped in red silk with a vase full of fresh red and white roses, menus and the list of events all typed in golden calligraphy. Rupert and his wife Grace occupied their seats too. Grace was genuinely shocked to see William with a woman like this, she had definitely witnessed his flings but this looked different, he was more protective around her.

''You look breath taking, Rupert's told me a lot about you. It's such a pleasure seeing Will with someone finally'', Grace winked and Macy couldn't help but blush. Clara noisily made her way to the table but to her dismay she was sandwiched between Rupert and Grace.

''Hi Will, so good to see you'', Clara batted her eyelashes at William which unfortunately went unacknowledged. Slowly the stage was occupied by the band and they instantly put the audience under their spell.

''Clara is fond of you Mr. Clark'', Macy whispered to William and she could immediately see William's face harden.

''Well the feeling is not mutual'', William sighed and placed a kiss on her palm as confirmation.