CHAPTER XII

The rest of the party went in an effortless flow whereby the waiters efficiently placed glasses of wine, entrée and main course. For the entrée they served shrimps coated with mariner's sauce and freshly crushed pepper and herbs. It was followed by green vegetables parboiled and glazed with sea salt and pumpkin mush. For the main there was thoroughly grilled sirloin steak with béarnaise sauce topped with minimal herbs and salt. The food tasted of the Mediterranean.

''Mr. Shallow are you from the Mediterranean'', Macy asked wondering.

''Yes! Oh dear, how did you come to know'', Rupert jumped up and down on his seat enthusiastically.

''The dinner speaks for itself'', Macy smiled politely as everyone except Clara looked at her amused.

''I must say William, she has really fine observation skills'', Rupert nodded in appreciation.

''I don't agree completely'', William smirked and Macy couldn't help but flush. He slowly skimmed his fingers on her knuckles and then her knee, moving upwards to her thigh slightly exposed by the slit. She moaned ever so slightly, audible only to William and his lips lifted into a small smile.

''Dance with me'', he pushed his chair and held his hand out for Macy. There were appreciative glances from Rupert and Grace as Clara's face lost color.

''Yes Mr. Clark'', Macy smiled shyly.

As the two made their way to the stage, Rupert and Grace followed along with some other couples as the band launched their strings to The Dream by Code Blue.

William held Macy close to him by her waist and Macy placed her hands over William's shoulder to settle herself. The two couldn't stop grinning at each other. William was easy on his feet and swirled Macy into a fox taut. He made Macy dip low and she yelped in surprise.

''You dance so well, looks like I am moving'', Macy loved his moves.

''You look more than beautiful Macy'', William was still smitten and she mouthed him a thankyou.

''You look insanely dashing yourself William'', Macy's cheeks turned red.

''Thank Jesus we are on first name basis now '', he couldn't resist laughing.

''We'll have to see about that'', she smiled.

As the band played final strings of Dream, Rupert excused William for the meeting and Macy made her way back to the table when Clara whispered from behind Macy, ''Darling can I have a word with you'', she hissed.

Macy followed Clara to the garden area when Clara turned to her.

''Look you slut I don't know what spell you've cast on my dad and mom that they are so happy seeing you with Will despite knowing he's mine. He is too shy to accept the fact maybe because he thinks it will affect the business relation's he has with my dad but he likes me too. So missy don't you dare try to poke your filthy nose between the two of us or it won't be good for you. Stop wooing Will because it isn't going to work. He has seen gold diggers like you in the past. He's had a long list of fucked up relationships and has an equally fucked up family so don't you ever try getting close to him or'', and before she could say something more, Grace turned her around and slapped her.

Macy's eyes caught William and Rupert behind them. Rupert looked like he had just swallowed something bitter and William had turned red as his jaw tightened and his hand turned into a fist.

''How dare you'', William screamed grabbing a little attention of the crowd. His body lost control as he dug his hand through his hair to contain his frustration but failed.

''Let me explain Will'', Clara replied embarrassed.

''Who the hell do you think you are and don't you dare call me Will. What the hell do you know about my family and personal life because you are not even close to it. Let me clear it out that I have no interest in you what so ever. Your drug cases haven't gone unnoticed by me and never in my entire life will I want you to be mine, not even when I'm drunk and wasted. So help me here, what do you know about Macy, point a finger at her and I'll snap it. Don't you ever show your filthy face to me again'', William barked as Clara stood dumbstruck.

William caught hold of Macy's hand and pulled her away from the scene.

''You shouldn't have been that harsh on her, really'', she sighed.

''You what, are you out of your mind. That woman just humiliated you and you seem scarily unaffected'', he seethed with residual rage.

''That's because that's not entirely her fault. She was just jealous, it's an emotion. I like to believe that its triggered by unhappiness, one's outlook towards life, not feeling fulfilled and accomplished and so on. Such people feel the need to constantly bring down people around them. We should let that not affect us right'', she smiled. In that moment he realized she was the most sorted and strongest woman he had ever known.

''You baffle me really, whatever it is we're going home'', he sighed. They said their good byes to Rupert and Grace and left hand in hand out the function. The valet had their car up in a moment and it was seconds before William drove away from the mansion.

The rest of the car journey was quiet as neither of them wanted to talk about what happened today. She was brooding over her feelings towards William, she was slipping and she would not allow that. Being called a gold digger for the rest of her life was definitely not on top of her priority list. Yet she noticed the change of heart he had since the first time they met when William had accused her of the same. William stopped the car right beside Macy's house.

''I'm sorry, please don't over think about what happened today'', William tried pulling her into his arms but she quickly moved away not wanting to give in the moment. She knew that's the only place she wanted to be right now but would definitely regret it later.

But William was not to be budged with. He tenderly lifted Macy's chin up to him, skimmed his thumb over the outline of her jaw and placed his lips over hers. She moaned in his mouth and he deepened the kiss. Just as he was about to force her lips apart to explore it with his tongue, Macy reluctantly moved apart. She looked up at William embarrassed and apologized.

''I should leave Mr. Clark, I will see you tomorrow'', Macy sighed. William was confused at her sudden change in behavior.

At night she played the events that had taken place today. Workplace romances would not sit well with her career especially for a strong-willed woman like her but the feeling she was developing towards him were getting difficult to manage especially when he was leaving no stone unturned. She eventually fell into a fitful sleep.

''Morning Macy'', Josh replied tired obviously worked out.

''Josh I am planning to leave for Oregon tonight provided I get a leave sanctioned from Mr. Clark'', Macy flushed a little when she mentioned William to Josh.

''You know I still think you have lost it to him'', Josh smirked mockingly.

''No'', Macy stuck her tongue out.

''For how long'', he inquired.

''I will be back two days prior to my birthday'', Macy grinned as she loved celebrating birthdays in Seattle. Macy decided to take a cab instead of letting Josh drive her to the office. She was just hoping things between her and William wouldn't seem awkward after their little moment yesterday.