chapter 3

"Karl why not?"

"She's not ready," I was trying to get Karl to come visit me and just bring Jayla along. I really miss them and I'm convinced seeing them, even if it's through double paned glass, would really help me out.

"At least let me talk to her, the whole message about where the call is coming from has already played. Just tell her I got my hands on a phone,"

"And what happens if your time is up and you're still talking to her. A message plays and informs me that your time is up and it would tell her where you are,"

"I think she already knows. She's a smart kid. She knows I wouldn't stay at school through the whole year."

"Jade. No,"

"Karl, let me hear her voice. Please," Karl sighed. I think I finally got him to crack.

"Fine. I better get the phone back before your time is up though. How much time is left?"

"Oh my gosh thank you Karl," I checked the digital timer on the phone telling you how long you can talk before the phone hangs up automatically, "Four minuets twenty five seconds," I felt like I could cry. After over two years of not hearing my sister's voice, Karl was finally letting me speak to her.

"Hello?"

"Jayla?"

"Jadey!" I smiled, tears filling my eyes.

"Hi baby, how are you doing?"

"Jadey why haven't you called before? I've missed you so much,"

"I know, I'm sorry. I miss you too. We aren't allowed to have phones but I was able to find one to call you,"

"Jadey your birthday is next week right? Are you going to come home so we can celebrate?" I leaned forward and put my elbows on my knees, furiously wiping tears that were falling down my face.

"No, not this year I'm afraid. Soon though,"

"You say that every time. How old are you going to be?"

"I'll be 17"

"I haven't seen you since you were 15,"  God she's breaking my heart today isn't she?

"Yes indeed. How's school going." She paused for a while, as if seeing through my attempt to change the subject.

"Jade can you just come home please. Karl and I really miss you and he keeps saying that everything will be better when you get back," I tried to ignore the fact that she left out dad. He probably hasn't noticed I'm not there.

"I'll be home soon, don't worry."

"When?"

"I'm not sure... it depends on how quickly I finish up my classes,"

"You're lying, aren't you?" My heart nearly stopped.

"Wha- why would I be lying? I'm at school Jay, why would I lie about that?"

"Jade are you in prison?" Before I could even respond, Karl snatched the phone out of Jayla's hands and spoke.

"Hope you're happy." He said, and hung up abruptly. I sat there in shock. She really did know. And Karl was definitely mad at me. Who knows if he'll let her write to me. And even if he does, he probably wouldn't let her read what I wrote.

I was able to get over my preliminary shock and put the phone back on the receiver. God, of course this would go bad. Nothing ever goes my way.

I felt like a zombie for the rest of the day. I had group therapy and I didn't speak one word (which probably didn't look good to the on hand therapist but whatever). In our school hours, I was able to shut up and just do a bunch of mindless easy work without anyone bothering me. Perrie tried to speak to me while we did our chore for the day: taking the trash out from the pod, but I gave short replies to everything she asked. By the time dinner came around, Perrie seemed to be upset with my mood.

"Okay, what's wrong?" She asked me from across the table.

"Nothing," I shrugged.

"Jade. You've been closed off all day. Well, more closed off than usual," I took a bite of my food so I didn't have to respond just yet. She raised her eyebrow at me.

"I'm fine blondie, really," She shook her head and dropped it, leaving us to finish the rest of our meal in silence. Well it was silent until someone leaned on the table and got dangerously close to my face.

I had literally never seen this girl before, but honestly I don't exactly pay attention to who comes in and out of here. As long as people leave me alone I don't really care what they do.

"Can I help you?" I asked. She smirked back at me.

"What are you in for?"

"Doesn't matter, now can you leave us alone? We were having a conversation here," I gestured to Perrie. At this point a bunch of heads were turned. Nobody has gotten in my face since the last time where someone challenged me and I won by a landslide.

"I've been watching you all day tiny," her nickname for me made my blood boil, "and you've barely uttered more than a word at a time. So," she grabbed the front of my shirt and pulled up to stand, "I have a feeling you're not going to do shit if I push you around," I glared up at her, breathing heavily. I need her to hit me first so I can be all defense. If I instigate a fight my possibilities of getting out early would be down the drain. She pulled me up slightly so we were nose to nose. "So, quiet one, I'd watch your back,"

"I'd watch your back!" My head snapped to look at Perrie, thoroughly confused as to why she'd be so stupid as to interfere right now.

"What did you say blondie?" she let go of my shirt and started moving towards Perrie like a lion stalking its prey.

"Don't call me that," she snapped back. Which was strange because she never once told me not to call her that.

"Oh so you have a bit of a temper do you?" The girl kept moving closer to Perrie and something in me started getting angry. Like, really angry. I moved over to the other side of the table and pushed Perrie behind me.

"Leave her alone," The other girl laughed.

"God you two are so scary! Oh no! Are you getting mad because I'm talking to your girlfriend blondie?" She said sarcastically.

If I'm being completely honest, I don't remember exactly what happened after she said that. I remember punching and getting punched. I remember a crowed gathering. I remember yelling.

I do however, very clearly remember the tear gas canister that landed right next to me and the almost instant pain that spread through me. I also remember a knee on my back and a hand pressing my head to the ground.

Oh god what about Perrie

AN: annnnd another one. Fun fact, this used to be one massive chapter but I decided I would split it in half.

What do you guys think will happen next?

stay safe and wash your hands!