chapter 13

I don't think Jade likes me all that much.

She either doesn't remember my name or chooses specifically to call me blondie. Normally that would piss me off, but for whatever reason I was able to let it slide. Whenever I asked her a question she would either respond sarcastically or brush me off, not really giving me a clear response. So far, our relationship has been nothing but awkward. Everything I say or do seems to make her react in a rather awkward way, and I'm not exactly sure why.

Two days into my stay I could generally tell that Jade didn't want me around. I'm not an idiot. But, we do have to spend an unusual amount of time together so the quicker she warms up to me, the quicker I can start to get a bit more comfortable with my surroundings.

The first time she actually tried to give me advice was over dinner a couple days later. I was trying to eat the sandwich we were given, but the taste made me want to throw up.

"Don't think about it, just put it in your mouth and chew" I furrowed my eyebrows at her, "Just put it in your mouth and chew, once you get over it, it's not that bad," she clarified, "You're gonna want to eat or else you're gonna starve," I nodded slowly and tried to take a bite, which was just a massive mistake. I instantly gagged and actually almost choked. Jade rolled her eyes and stood up, leaving me with my disgusting food. I sighed, watching her go back to our cell. I glared down at my food, praying it would just disappear.

I tried eating it a couple more times but I honestly couldn't get through it, so I gave up, turned in my tray, and followed Jade back into our cell.

When I entered, she was hunched over her desk, completely concentrated on whatever she was doing. I quietly leaned over her shoulder, not wanting to disturb her or possibly make her mad. She was in the middle of a drawing, specifically depicting the fight that happened earlier today. I momentarily forgot that she didn't know I was standing behind her.

"Jade, these are really good!" She jumped and looked at me with wide eyes, clearly scared by my sudden presence. Oops.

"Jesus blondie don't sneak up on me like that," I just smiled back at her, noticing how cute she is when she's not glaring at me.

"Sorry, but seriously, you're a great artist. Was that from today?" I asked, glancing between her face and where she was trying (and failing) to cover up her drawing.

"Yeah, from when we were out at rec today, now I would appreciate it if you left me alone so I could finish it," And back to abrupt Jade. I tried not to look offended and just went to sit on my bunk, intent on staying in the room and trying to get the girl to warm up to me. As soon as I turned around, Jade was slightly glaring at me. "I meant out there," she said, gesturing to the door, "Make some friends or something,"

"You literally warned me that there are people here I shouldn't talk to," I said, thinking back to our earlier conversation, "It doesn't seem like the smartest idea to talk to anyone without you there," Jade rolled her eyes and turned back to her drawing.

"I'm not your fucking babysitter, god," she muttered. Alright then. I slumped my shoulders and nodded slowly, trying to ignore how much her words hurt and telling myself that Jade just isn't comfortable with me yet and I should probably leave her alone.

I quietly jumped down from my bunk and slowly walked outside of our cell and into the main part of the pod. I have yet to actually talk to anyone here besides Jade and the girl that sits next to me during our class hours, but neither of them seem to like me very much.

Taking Jade's earlier advice of not talking to just anyone, I decided to just sit alone and watch tv in the general area while I still could. Unfortunately, I've never been the most coordinated person in the world, so naturally, instead of moving out of someone's way, Perrie toppled onto someone sitting at one of the tables.