chapter 17

Unfortunately, I became incredibly attached to Jade.

Well, everything would have been fine if I had bothered to talk to anyone else other than her, but I was so infatuated with Jade that I had neglected speaking to anyone else who was here, save for the girl Jade got into a fight with.

Jade was set to leave the facility for a little over 24 hours and I was absolutely terrified.

I tried to keep telling myself that everything would be okay and that I could handle myself without Jade for one day, but I knew deep down that wouldn't be the case. As soon as she left, I would be left for the rest of the girls here, and I could already tell they that they don't have the highest opinion of me.

"Are you nervous?" I asked her as she put the finishing touches on her statement to the judge. She shrugged and turned around.

"Kind of, but at the same time I'm really excited, I haven't seen the outside world in so long," I smiled at the thought. If I was itching to go out, I could only imagine how excited she would be. She's been stuck seeing the same walls and eating the same food for over a year.

"Are you going to be back by tonight?" I asked cautiously, secretly praying that she would say yes.

"No, I'm staying the night in the county jail in my town and then coming back tomorrow morning," I nodded slowly, staring down at the floor so she wouldn't see the disappointed look on my face.

"I'm gonna miss you," I muttered, still not looking up at her. I heard her stand up and walk towards me and suddenly she pushed up on my chin and pecked my lips quickly, slightly surprising me. She was never the one to initiate any sort of contact, much less in the middle of the day when anyone could walk by our room.

"I'll be back before you know it, don't worry," she said with a small smile. "I'm gonna miss you too. Now, can you help me look as good as possible?" she asked me, handing me her comb. I nodded and attempted to get out the knots that form in her thick hair, which was challenging to say the least. Her hair is incredibly thick and after she washes it, it gets curly and slightly frizzy so I did my best to get her hair tamed.

"Thirlwall, time to go!" A CO yelled from outside our door while opening up the rectangular slot for Jade to stick her hands through to get hand cuffed. Jade took a deep breath before walking to the door and sticking her hands through the slot.

"Wish me luck," she said with a small smile.

"You'll do great,"

Jade gave me a lopsided grin before exiting our room and following the CO out of our pod.

~~~~~~~~~~

My plan was to fly under the radar as much as I possibly could until Jade got back. Continue about what I would normally do in a day, just minus Jade.

This task was far harder than I originally thought.

I was convinced that most people didn't really care what Jade and I did. We left them alone and they left us alone, but oh boy was I wrong. Apparently most of the pod saw Jade leave this morning and they made it apparent as I stepped out into the common area for the first time. As soon as I crossed the threshold of our room, all eyes were on me. When I say all of them, I mean all of them.

I slowly walked over to a table where I could see the television, still hyper aware of everyone staring at me. Just as everyone seemed to be going back to whatever they were doing before I exited my room, someone got into my personal space.

"So blondie, was your girlfriend discharged or something?" I glanced up to find Rachel, the girl Jade got into a fight with a while ago, standing way too close for comfort. Her face was meer inches away from mine. I glared at her.