chapter 8

"Hey! What are you doing?"

Perrie instantly leapt off of me, putting as much distance between the two of us as I quickly pulled up my pants.

"Edwards! Thirlwall! What did I just see?" The CO practically yelled.

"Oh something bit Jade on her leg and she asked me to look at it," Perrie said quickly. Damn, she knows how to lie. It's almost like she's a convict or something.

"Then why exactly were the two of you... you know what, never mind," he started fumbling with his keys and unlocked the door, "Get out, come on," Perrie and I exchanged looks as we quickly pulled on our shoes and shuffled out, following the officer.

After he shut the door behind us, he stared us down for a second before ordering me to cuff up and warning Perrie she better not try anything or she'll get tased.

Guess I'm considered more of a threat.

He had a firm grip on our arms as he led us out of the pod and through various corridors, stopping to get Perrie a pair of handcuffs before taking us straight to the superintendent, Mr. Brown's office.

I've only met the dude once, and that was only in passing. He came into our classroom one day and I can't say it was a particularly positive experience. The guy has a constant scowl and sort of looms over everyone and reminds me of the critic guy in Ratatouille. He's like a walking stick that must hate children considering his choice in profession.

We were forced to be seated in the chairs opposite his desk while he glared back at us with narrowed eyes. Perrie and I exchanged glances, unsure of what was going to happen to us.

"So," Mr. Brown said, leaning forward on his elbows, "Care to tell me exactly why I was called back into my office while I was on my way out?"

"I caught these two doing something in the lower bunk while I was making my rounds," The CO explained, "And as soon as I said something Edwards bolted out of the bed and Thirlwall over here shuffled around. They claim it was some sort of bug bite situation but I don't believe it," Brown nodded, taking in what the CO said carefully before looking at me.

"What was going on in your room tonight?"

"What he said. My leg was itchy so I asked Perrie to see if she could see anything," He nodded slowly, his eyes still narrowed and turned to Perrie.

"Why'd you run from the door if all you were doing was looking at a bite?" Without skipping a beat, Perrie responded.

"The flashlight scared me, I'm a jumpy person," Brown kept nodding, turning everything we told him over in his head. Technically they have no evidence we were doing anything other than what we said.

"Here's the deal," Brown said, finally breaking his silence, "I have no evidence against what you said. However, I can't let you back into your room. You two will go into segregation for the night while your cell gets shaken down. If there's nothing in there that's problematic, you're welcome to go back in the morning. If we do find something, then we'll go from there. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir," I said. Perrie simply nodded.

"Alright then," he waved us out and the CO grabbed Perrie and I by our arms and escorted us out.

I wanted to tell Perrie it would be okay, but from the look on the officer's face that would be a bad idea. Poor blondie probably doesn't know what to expect in seg. Another CO joined us and took Perrie's arm. I gave her a reassuring smile as I passed her to get to what would be my cell for at least the night.