chapter 6

The next day was weird. When I woke up, Perrie was already up, brushing her teeth with her back turned to me. She must have gotten up before the lights turned on, which is weird because I'm normally the one shaking her awake in the morning.

When I stood next to her to also get ready for the day, she took a step away from me and noticeably wouldn't make eye contact. Great.

Throughout the day, she continued to distance herself. I kept trying to make conversation with her but she would brush me off and try and talk to someone else (I say try because she's mainly been talking to me for the past couple months and it's kind of hard to be here for so long and not speak to others. Oh and I think everyone else here finds her annoying). By the time lunch rolled around, I could tell Perrie was trying to figure out if she should sit with me or not. I could see her out of the corner of my eye holding her lunch tray and scanning the tables. Eventually she made her way over to our regular seats and sat directly in front of me.

I kept staring at her face, trying to get her to look at me, but she kept her eyes on her meal. I shook my head.

"Alright, what's wrong?" I asked. For the first time that day, her eyes shot up to meet mine. When she didn't answer me right away, I raised my eyebrow at her and lowered my voice, "Do you have a problem with what happened last night?" I would hate to think that anything that we did last night made her uncomfortable, the last thing I wanted to do was hurt her in any way. I might be locked up, but I'm not a terrible person.

"I-I don't... I- no. No I don't" She said, stumbling on almost every word.

"So then why exactly have you been ignoring me all day?" I asked.

Now, I've been here quite some time. I would be lying if I said I haven't picked up on how to generally read someone, its an important skill to have in here. I need to know if someone is going to keep their word in trade or if people are being sincere in general.

Based on Perrie's reactions to my question, she told herself earlier that she wasn't going to talk to me today. Her eyes were darting around the room looking everywhere except at me, she stopped eating her food, and her knee was bobbing up and down. I leaned forward to try and get her attention.

"Blondie are you familiar with the term 'gay for the stay'?" Perrie shook her head and took a small bite of her lunch, still not making eye contact with me. "It's a term we use for girls who come in here and swing the other way just until they leave. Then when they're back in the real world they're straight as a board," Perrie's eyes grew wide and finally met mine.

"No Jade I swear that's not it," She said quickly.

"Then what is it blondie? Because that's the most you've said to me all day," She opened her mouth to speak but then did something I've never seen her do before. She decided not to say something.

"I can't tell you that Jade, I'm sorry," She said, then promptly stood up and turned in her lunch tray, not even sparing me a second glance.

And it fucking hurt.

~~~~~~~~~~

Perrie didn't speak to me for the rest of the day. She didn't avoid me either. She still sat with me at dinner and joined me for a light workout during rec.... She just didn't say anything which was slightly unsettling. By the time we were locked in our cells for the night, I was a little freaked out. The entire time I had known Perrie, she was unable to keep her mouth shut.

I decided that if she was in no mood to speak with me, then there was no point in trying to engage in conversation with her. As soon as the door was shut and locked behind us, I went straight to my desk and started drawing. Jayla had requested an accurate depiction of my room so I started to get to work on that. I could vaguely hear Perrie going to lay on to her bed, but I generally kept ignoring her. If I get into the zone of drawing, I don't like to be disturbed anyway.