chapter 5

Months went by without any issues. Perrie and I kept up a nice dynamic between the two of us which included the occasional cuddling session at night.

Honestly, the kid grew on me. She annoyed me beyond all belief when she first showed up and followed me like a lost puppy but now I would definitely consider her a friend at this point. Or maybe more than a friend?

Recently I found myself staring at her doing the most mundane things. The other day, she was brushing her hair out after we came back from our shower time and I was just watching her. Not in a creepy way or anything, it's just that her hair is really nice. We've also been doing workouts during rec recently to stay in shape and kill some energy and its been getting more and more difficult to keep my eyes off of her. Who can blame me though? Perrie is incredibly attractive.

I was broken from my trance of thinking about Perrie when the door to the classroom opened. I glanced over my shoulder to see my defense lawyer Mrs. Rodrigez standing at the door with a CO.

"Hey can I have a word with Jade?" She asked the teacher who was in the middle of a lecture about World War II. She waved me off so I stood up to follow them, passing Perrie on my way out. She gave me a questioning look but I just shrugged, not exactly sure what was going on.

Mrs. Rodrigez smiled at me and led me to a random office a couple doors down from where we held school for 6 hours a day. Mrs. Rodrigez took a seat behind the desk and gestured for me to sit in one of the chairs across from her.

"How are you doing Jade? I haven't seen you since your trial," I shrugged.

"I'm doing okay. As well as I can be while I'm here," She nodded and started pulling papers out of a file.

"Well I'm here to bring you some news and ask you a couple questions alright?" I nodded slowly, still extremely confused, "Jade, why did you steal the credit card?"

"I said all this in my testimony,"

"Just answer the question,"

"I wanted to look cool in front of my friends and get them some stuff for a party," I said. That story has been engrained in my memory for the past couple of years.

"Are you sure that's the story you want to go with?" She asked me. I nodded my head slowly, still confused as to why she decided to come here on a random Tuesday and question me about my story a year and a half after my sentencing. "Because I'm not sure if you're aware but your brother is trying to get legal custody of your sister," I nodded. Karl and I had been discussing it over the phone just the other day. "He's claiming that your father has been neglecting the three of you since your mother died,"

"Do I have to testify or something?" I asked.

"We'll get to that but there was something that Karl put in his statement to the judge that I wanted to ask you about," she said, "And I want you to know that I'm here to help you. Karl mentioned that your father would barely give you enough food to last you a week, is that true," I nodded slowly, "And I know that after you stole the card, one of the first things you did was go to a grocery store and buy an insane amount of food. Was this food for your brother and sister?" I stared blankly down in front of me, unsure of what to do. I shrugged without looking at her.

Mrs. Rodrigez sighed and shook her head.

"Jade I'm here to help you. Please remember that. Now I know the second thing you did was go on a bit of a shopping spree at a nearby mall. Was this for your brother and sister as well?" I continued to stay silent but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to confess. My main motive for not telling the truth in the first place was to keep Jayla and Karl together, but now that Karl's of age and pursuing legal guardianship, I guess my information could only help the case against my dad. Slowly but surely I started nodding. "Why would you leave that out of your testimony?"