chapter 9

A week later, a new girl replaced Perrie. Well, not replaced. Nobody can replace Perrie. She just took over the space that once belonged to Perrie.

The girl's name is Jackie and I absolutely can not stand her. She's about an inch shorter than me but her personality is about 10 times bigger than mine. Her bright pink hair would give that fact away. But the worst part is that she keeps going on about how she's hard shit and juvie will do nothing for her and she'll probably be back in a year or two. I don't disagree.

Perrie never exactly gave details about her new rooming situation, but I could sense tension between the two of them, even from a distance. Even from across the yard at rec I could feel Rachel staring us down.

"She's not staring us down,"

"Blondie, I can tell when someone is giving me a side eye, it's been happening my whole life," I said, "and I'm telling you, that's what she's doing,"

"Maybe she has a crush on you," Perrie supplied. I snorted.

"Yeah right," Perrie paused our discussion as we approached Rachel's little group. Since I broke my hand, I couldn't exactly do a full workout anymore, so Perrie and I opted to do walk or take slow jogs around the track that lines the fencing of our outdoor yard area.

"I'm being serious Jade, you're an attractive person, maybe that's why she's staring." she said once we put enough distance between Rachel and us,

"So you admit that she's staring?"

"Stop twisting my words,"

"Or are you saying I'm attractive?" she groaned. 

"Stop it,"

"I'm not twisting your words, I'm simply repeating what you said back to you," Perrie gave me a dirty look but I could tell she was just playing. We kept walking for a bit before Perrie spoke again.

"When do you meet with the parole board again?"

"Four more days, on Thursday,"

"Are you nervous?"

"Definitely, but Jackie has been sort of coaching me on how to talk to them," I said, "I mean, I take everything that she says with a grain of salt because she's here for the third time but still," Perrie nodded, but didn't respond. Something was bothering her but she didn't want to tell me. I didn't want to pressure her, so we finished out rec time in silence.

~~~~~~~~~~

"So what's the deal with you and that blonde chick?"

I turned around from my desk, momentarily pausing the letter I was writing, and faced Jackie.

"Perrie?" Jackie nodded, "What do you mean what's the deal with us?"

"Are you two fucking?" I nearly choked on my spit.

"What?"

"You two are always together and the way she looks at you, I could swear she's in love with you," That caught me off guard.

"I- what? What's that-" She cut me off.

"Don't worry about it, you'll probably never see her again once you get out so if you don't like her back you don't have to do much. Just wait it out a few more days," she said.

"No no, that's not the issue here-" I started to argue.

"Then what's the issue?" Damn this girl doesn't let me finish my sentences.

"I guess the part that I might never see her again." I trailed off. Jackie nodded and went back to whatever she was doing before she started talking, getting the hint that I was done talking about this particular subject.