Chapter 19 - Demonstration

Though Fang Cheng Ran had sent Yang Wei home several times before, this was his first time inside.

Her living room was decorated very simply, but the warm colours of the sofa and curtains combined to give a cozy feeling to anyone who entered. He helped Yang Wei to the sofa and arranged a pillow behind her back. "Do you have a hot water bottle? The clerk told me just now that a hot compress will relieve pain."

Yang Wei pointed to the TV cabinet. "The hot water bottle should be in there."

"Hang on just a second." Fang Cheng Ran first filled the hot water bottle from the water dispenser in the living room, then plugged it in. On the TV cabinet, two photo frames lay facedown. Fang Cheng Ran peered underneath, then laughed and put them back.

Yang Wei leaned against the sofa with her eyes closed, her brow creased. She seemed to be in great pain. Fang Cheng Ran patted her face very lightly and picked her up. Waking up suddenly, Yang Wei asked, "What are you doing?"

Fang Cheng Ran chuckled, "What do you think I'm doing? I'm putting you to bed."

Seeing her wide-eyed look, he sighed helplessly. "I mean, you're going to bed by yourself."

Yang Wei licked her lips awkwardly. "I have to change first."

Fang Cheng Ran smiled, laid her down in the bedroom and retreated. "I'll hang out here for a bit. When you're done, I'll help you with the medicine and hot water bottle."

He closed the door. Yang Wei touched her hot cheeks before picking up her pajamas and sanitary napkin, taking them into the bathroom. As if he had some internal alarm, Fang Cheng Ran knocked on the door to her bedroom just as she exited. "Are you ready?"

"Yes!"

Yang Wei opened the door for him. Fang Cheng Ran ran his gaze over her striped pajamas and smiled, handing her a cup and pills. "First take your medicine."

She did so. Then he handed her the hot water bottle, saying, "Now go sleep."

Taking the bottle, Yang Wei glanced at him. "What about you?"

Fang Cheng Ran's lips slowly bent into a smile. In her ear, he said, "If you need me, I could provide escort and sleeping services."

"...Thanks, but no." Nestling into her quilt, Yang Wei raised her eyes to meet those of the man standing at the door. "If you have something important to do, don't let me keep you. I'll be fine.”

Leaning on the door frame, Fang Cheng Ran bantered, “Don't worry, I won't scheme against you.”

Yang Wei’s eyelids slowly drifted closed. A little smile hovering about the corners of his mouth, Fang Cheng Ran turned toward the living room, but a glimpse of the wedding photo on the wall halted him in his tracks.

It is said that a woman wearing a wedding dress is at her most beautiful. At the sight of Yang Wei in her white dress, Fang Cheng Ran’s heart skipped a beat. There was only one fly in the ointment - the smile on her lovely face was not for him.

His brow furrowed, he looked toward the man beside her, who had been scribbled on beyond recognition. To himself, he admitted his own inner jealousy. The only good feelings he had toward this man was that the fool had chosen to divorce Yang Wei, thus granting he himself a chance.

Right next to the wedding photo hung a poster of Mo Zhen. Film Emperor Mo had some reputation overseas, so much so that even Fang Cheng Ran, who had only just returned to China, was able to recognize him. Raising a brow, he found himself empathizing with Yang Wei’s ex-husband a little. At the very least, the man hadn't been generous enough to tolerate his wife tacking up posters of another in their bedroom.