Chapter 44

The step was not high. When Yang Wei fell, she threw out her hands behind her, cushioning herself from the jolt.

However, the fall had scared her a good deal, and the sudden cramp in her abdomen made her face turn white. Qi Xiao Yan saw her tumble and rushed over. "Darling, are you alright?"

He knelt to lift her back up. Yang Wei grabbed his arm, her slender brows pinched together in pain. "It hurts."

Qi Xiao Yan became nervous upon seeing the pallor of her features. "Where does it hurt?"

"My stomach..." Yang Wei looked up, holding onto his arm even tighter as though afraid of something, "Curly, Curly-bae, the baby..."

He frowned. "What baby?"

The sudden chill in his face frightened Yang Wei. Panicked tears swirled in her eyes. "Curly-bae, I'm so sorry I didn't tell you. I'm pregnant."

Qi Xiao Yan's hand tightened around hers, and even his breathing seemed to stop. Several students at the edge of the crowd had seen someone fall and came running up to them. Taking a deep breath in, Qi Xiao Yan lifted her off the ground and yelled at the students around him, "Out of the way!"

The students were shocked to hear him shout. They had never before seen Professor Qi so anxious. A way quickly parted for him, and holding Yang Wei close, Qi Xiao Yan left quickly.

Yang Wei leaned against his chest and listened to the heavy sound of his heartbeat. She couldn't help but fret, "Curly-bae, do you think the baby will be alright?"

"Of course. Don't be afraid." He kissed her forehead soothingly. She hadn't bled. It was hopefully not too serious.

When he placed her into the car, a thin layer of sweat had oozed from her forehead. He wiped it away and carefully fastened the seatbelt for her. Although he was as nervous and anxious as she, he did not dare drive too fast. Glancing at Yang Wei next to him, he took her hand gently. "Darling, don't be afraid. It'll be all right."

"Nnn......" Yang Wei's voice was weak with the cramping pain. She turned her head to Qi Xiao Yan and felt her nose become a little sour. "I'm sorry Curly-bae. I should have told you earlier..."

Qi Xiao Yan laced his fingers through hers and slowly tightened them. "Stop talking."

Yang Wei let out a sniffle and didn't let out a sound afterward. When they arrived at the hospital, Qi Xiao Yan parked quickly and took her to the emergency department. The nurse in the hallway saw him rushing in and hurried to meet him. "What's wrong with her?"

"She had a bad fall. It might have hurt the baby."

'Might have hurt the baby' was a broad term. The nurse took Yang Wei into the ward and pulled the curtain closed, leaving Qi Xiao Yan outside. Soon after, another nurse led the doctor in, a woman with a low ponytail and rimless glasses, who looked very young. The two let themselves behind the curtain and no sound of movement could be heard for awhile.

Standing alone outside, Qi Xiao Yan felt as though every nerve in his body was taut. He stared at the dark blue curtains, hardly even blinking. Who knew how long he waited before the curtain was finally pulled open again? From behind the curtain, the doctor emerged. "Are you the patient's family?"