Epilogue 3 - Curly-baby's Day

Just as Qi Rang was about to calculate the answer to a formula, his mother woke him up. "Curly-baby, get up, you've got to go to kindergarten today."

Opening his eyes in a daze to his mother's familiar face, he crawled out of bed slowly to hug and kiss her. "Mommy, good morning."

"Good morning~" Yang Wei patted his head. His curly black hair was just like his father's. "Does your head still hurt after two days of rest?"

She tested the temperature of his forehead with the back of his hand. The fever had apparently retreated.

"It doesn't hurt. Mommy, dress me." Qi Rang handed the clothes on his quilt to his mother. Yang Wei pulled a white t-shirt over his head, with a bright yellow coat over that, and ruffled his soft black hair. "Our family's Curly-baby's the handsomest."

Curly-baby giggled. Then from the door came a cool voice, "Qi Rang, How many times have I told you that you should dress yourself? You're already six this year."

Qi Rang pouted, pulling on his pants in a limp and lethargic manner, and running to the drawers to rummage for socks. Walking into the bedroom, Qi Xiao Yan asked, "Did you work out that question last night?"

"Mom woke me up right before I did."

"So you didn't?"

Qi Rang: "..."

Although he felt a strong sense of humiliation, he couldn't deny it.

"Until you figure it out, you'll sleep alone." Having made this announcement, Qi Xiao Yan turned and pulled Yang Wei away.

Qi Rang turned a disdainful glance to his father's back. He had been sick for the last two days, and finally managed to sleep with his mom for two nights. Today hadn't even begun, yet here that man was, impatient to kick him out and using the problem as an excuse. Did he have no shame?!

Qi Rang brushed his teeth angrily, and vowed in his heart to figure out that problem today.

Breakfast was milk buns and eggs, fried by Qi Xiao Yan.

When the family of three had eaten, Yang Wei hurriedly picked up her bag from the sofa. "Curly-baby, hurry up now, or you'll miss the school bus."

"Okay." Qi Rang drank the last sip of his milk and jumped off his chair. He picked up his schoolbag and tugged at his mother's hand as they left together.

The orange school bus was just arriving when they got to the community gate. Climbing in, Qi Rang waved back to Yang Wei. "Mommy, goodbye."

"Bye-bye." Yang Wei waved back with a smile.

As he made his way into the bus, the crisp sound of a girl's voice rang out. "Curly-baby Qi, sit with me!"

His brow shooting up, Qi Rang followed the sound toward a little ponytailed girl by the window.

"Liu Bei Bei, don't call me Curly-baby, that's what my family calls me," he reminded, crossing to her. Once upon a time, she had called him by his given name, but upon hearing his mother calling him by his nickname, she had begun using it.