Chapter 4

Sophie lay in her bed, expecting peaceful dreams, now that Keefe had woken up.

But when her consciousness finally slipped away, visions of Keefe jerking on a bed, body parts glowing like quintessence and shadow haunted her.

A ghastly voice of Lady Gisela came out of Keefe's mouth.

Legacy, legacy, legacy

Plans

He'll never be the same

The voice promised.

Sophie screamed as the glowing parts of Keefe's body glowed brighter, and Lady Gisela's voice became louder.

Follow

Follow the legacy

Follow it.

FOLLOW IT.

FOLLOW IT!

Sophie wanted to rip herself out of the dream, the voice felt like it was dragging her down to hopelessness. What if Keefe's new ability changed him? Were they falling into Lady Gisela's plan? Were all of them in more danger because of his ability? What if -

Sophie. I'm here. It's a nightmare. Wake up Sophie. Wake up.

Lady Gisela's voice disagreed with the newcomer.

No. This is what will happen. Mark my words it will. The ability will overcome him in ways you do not think is possible. He will -

Don't listen. It's a nightmare. It's not real. The other voice promised.

Just a nightmare, just a nightmare, just a nightmare, the voice repeated, over and over again until Sophie was able to cling onto the words and drag herself up to freedom. The light. Reality.

Somebody stroked her hair.

Edaline.

"Mom?" Sophie whispered, voice breaking.

"I'm here," Edaline promised, holding her tightly.

"We're both here." Somebody said.

Grady.

"Dad," Sophie sniffed.

"How about we go get some butterblasts?" Grady suggested. "Sleep isn't a choice right now for you right now." Sophie nodded, still sniffling and hanging onto Edaline like she was the only thing that was keeping her together.

The family stumbled out of Sophie's room, and ate some butterblasts, as promised. And when Sophie was ready, she fell asleep with her parents as the sun began to shine, promising a new start.