Chapter 45

"What -" All of Sophie's thoughts vanished leaving a single one.

Fintan would have a Tribunal?

She vaguely heard shouts and protests, celebration, maybe, in the background? She wasn't sure at all. All she could think about was the possibilities to come. Fintan's. Tribunal. She couldn't imagine all of the horrors that could take place there. From past history, she wouldn't be surprised if Fintan attempted to break out of the Tribunal Hall. It was safe to assume that he would be willing to harm to get his wish, despite the promises he had made before. About getting himself too deep in the situation. Losing his way. Not another chance. But now, Sophie didn't care. The Tribunal reminded her of what Fintan had made them lose. Nothing could change that. He did offer something like remorse before, yet, not exactly an apology.

Though the Tribunal would also punish Fintan for all his wrong-doings. Just because he was training Marella, and offering help to the Council and Black Swan, didn't erase his past. Not yet at least.

"Is there a choice?" Sophie blurted out, halting all conversation, and finally looked up to a group of people with mixed emotions swirling in their eyes.

"Tell us what you mean about a choice Miss Foster," Mr. Forkle requested somehow calmly. Maybe he was trying to keep his composure to make the situation less daunting. Though it didn't help Sophie's rattling nerve as she started explaining.

"I mean, is there a way to cancel it?"

"It's the Council's decision. I already warned them of the risks there may be, and I have to give them credit for this. They've already prepared vast security measures that -"

"How do we know that's enough?" Sophie interrupted. "There's always something missing."

"It's better than nothing. We cannot let fear control us. We'll help prepare as best as possible," Mr. Forkle said, sighing, and wearily looking up.

"I still don't like it," Sophie stated, giving in to the urge to pull on her eyelashes. "He's gonna play a trick on us, I know it."

"I see your concern, though I truly believe, that we are at an advantage. First of all, the Tribunal is going to be held not in its traditional place. It's going to be placed at a random location that even I do not know of yet, that is cold enough that it will prevent Fintan's fire from forming. Second of all, only a selected number of people will attend the Tribunal."

"We're invited - right?" Dex interrupted, eyes cold.

"I still do not know the specifics of the invite list, though I assume all of you will be, considering how much you are involved in this. Technically, you would also serve as witnesses to his crimes. Not that the Council needs witnesses for this special case. His crimes have gone far, too vivid to be ignored," Mr. Forkle's eyes seemed to wander away, into almost a sombre mood.

Nobody seemed to know how to react to the statement.

"I - What - So we really can't change this?" Sophie asked desperately.

"No. I think it's safe to assume that the Council won't be taking any alternatives." Mr. Forkle sighed. "The Black Swan and the Council have been building a bridge of trust between each other, but the journey is far, far from ending."

So what would they do? Wait until the Council spoke up? She supposed they could focus on other priorities in the meantime, like trying to figure out where Keefe was, though, it wouldn't stop the curiosity from buzzing at the side of her mind.

"Fine," she decided, trying to make the decision sound like she had an actual choice in the situation.

"And what do you mean, by fine, Miss Foster? Surely you aren't going to simply ignore this news and continue on with your day?" Mr. Forkle objected