Chapter 40

"I don't know. Do you feel up to make the object visible to us again?" Mr. Forkle asked. Sophie really hoped Biana was because she didn't feel exactly safe near the supposed object.

"Mhm. It didn't take much out of me," Biana shrugged, taking hold of Sophie's hand, eyebrows creasing. Soon, the object returned into sight, as eye-dazzling as before. Sophie resisted the urge to throw it on the opposite side, tugging on her eyelashes instead.

Everybody eyed the mysterious object. What was it? Sophie didn't like knowing that the object could be potentially dangerous, considering that it was a remnant from something that had held Keefe oblivious, and captured. Her heart skipped a beat as Mr. Forkle leaned towards it.

"Stop!" Sophie blurted out, involuntarily snatching her hand away from Biana's. The object blinked in and out of view until it finally disappeared. Her face flushed with embarrassment but the risk was too dangerous. She wouldn't make a fatal mistake to let this object go under caution. The Neverseen were too predictable, yet unknown. They were good at hiding, and protecting their secrets, creating a false path. "We should all let go of it."

"Miss Foster, I already know what this is," Mr. Forkle explained. Sophie felt her heart stop again. Mr. Forkle knew, and didn't bother to tell them?! What was good in that, when everybody was having panic attacks? "I wanted to make sure I was right, before getting your hopes up. It seems like I am, because, every tracker has a little sign on the back." Mr. Forkle gestured to a little sun symbol on the back of the tracker. The symbol also proved their theory about the light affecting the magisdan. So maybe, they had a stable lead. Until the other daunting risk arose into Sophie's mind.

"Wait - doesn't a tracker - wait! This may mean the Neverseen are tracking us right now!" Sophie said hysterically. They had to get prepared? What if the Neverseen were already getting ready for an attack? She knew she may be acting paranoid, but the recent events had caused her to be. It wasn't really her fault. But they needed time! What if their only lead was a false one, that would work to the Neverseen's advantage? That seemed to happen a lot, anyways. Yet with all the chaos that had been happening, she couldn't seem to organize her thoughts into place.

"I've thought of this Miss Foster. And that is exactly why we should bring this tracker to a safe location, and since we do not know yet, if it is tracking us, or tracking the Neverseen, we'll take refuge now. This is actually a perfect timing to introduce you to your new homes!"

New home?

"You'll be staying in a place, somewhat formatted like Alluveterre," Mr. Forkle concluded.

"Wait, but I thought you only had emergency hideouts left? Isn't this hideout pretty big if it's supposed to fit all of us?" Biana asked, pacing a few feet, then coming back.

"It never hurts to be prepared," Was all Mr. Forkle said before ordering Biana to give Granite the tracker, and everybody to prepare for a leap.

Sophie hesitantly walked forward to the assembling circle, mind hazy. They were now in great risk, though Mr. Forkle and Granite didn't seem to be that alarmed. But maybe they were hiding their emotions to make the situation not feel as dangerous. Yet, Sophie couldn't ignore the discomfort bubbling up.

Granite silently exchanged an unknown look to Mr. Forkle as he took the item from his hands. There seemed to be a ring of unstable harmony in the air as Granite solemnly leapt away with a hard smile. Mr. Forkle joined the group, and Sophie didn't realize whose hands she was holding until Dex nudged her.

"Hey. You okay?" Dex asked. Sophie felt her eyes drifting up towards his, and saw true concern and openness welcoming her. Emotions burst out of her in one small sob as she shook her head discreetly. "We're gonna be fine. We may go through some hard stuff, but hey!" Dex gave a quick hug to Sophie. "We always beat it. Team SoDex!" Sophie knew it wasn't the right time to smile, but she managed to sneak a quick one in. She hadn't realized that all of her friends were watching, until the group broke to embrace her.

"We're here for you, Sophie," Linh said warmly, also giving a quick hug. All of the others, even Tam, joined a group hug, and Sophie sank into it, feeling nothing, but pure relievement. All of her bottled emotions ran out, as she reflected on her worries that she had been holding in. Keefe. Oralie. Silveny. Greyfell. She couldn't describe her feeling in words, and smiled weakly, tears running down her cheeks. Sophie then realized that something felt a bit off. But somebody cleared their throat before she could dwell on the thought.

"Are we ready?" Mr. Forkle asked, fixing a supportive glance at Sophie.

Nobody said a word, just nodded. Sophie felt she should've been surprised that none of her friends were disagreeing that they should work on the tracker, but somehow... It felt right. The patience did. Maybe they weren't ready. Not today at least. It had been a long day, anyways, and night was approaching.

"Then let's go," Mr. Forkle completed the assembling group, and made the crystal whisk them off into somewhere new, where there might be change. Good change.