Chapter 39

"Get ready," Mr. Forkle warned as Sophie and Biana linked hands. A light seemed to sink into Biana as soon as Sophie touched her. The Black Swan members crouched in battle poses, as Sophie's heart thumped offbeat. She knew what this could bring. Confusion. Definitely confusion. Havoc? But she was willing to go forward with this plan if Keefe would be brought back. This was the only way, there was no other. Healing Oralie's mind wouldn't fix the crisis, and sadly, Sophie realized that Oralie's mind-breaking was only a fracture of the pain to come.

One second passed.

One heartbeat passed.

And Sophie held her breath as Biana reached forward, and raised her hand over the cot, and waved it in a rhythmic manner. This was it. They would find their only clue there. Biana's shaking hands symbolized it. Finally, a few seconds crawled tauntingly by, as Biana lowered her hand, and something flashed so fast that Sophie couldn't tell what it was. But the light faded away, and she saw everybody looking disoriented, while Biana held something in her hands. Excitement coursed through Sophie's veins and she could've sworn she saw a glimpse of hope burst across the Black Swan members whose face was hidden. Maybe this was actually it. Maybe - maybe their clue had been found.

"I have it," Biana whispered, opening her palm, and Sophie braced herself for anything, but found herself looking at nothing.

"Biana - are you ok?" Fitz asked worriedly, breaking his position in the front of the cot and running over to part his sister down for injuries.

"Miss Vacker, what do you see?" Mr. Forkle asked cautiously. Sophie suddenly noticed of the risk the supposed object Biana was carrying could have.

"You should let it go Biana. It may be dangerous." Sophie slowly slipped her hand out of Biana's slack grasp. Though what if the whole room was dangerous?! What other dangers were hidden? Luckily, as Sophie surveyed the room, she saw that Tam, Linh, Dex, Mr. Forkle, and Granite seemed fine, other than a few puzzled expressions. She wondered if that was really all the havoc. Maybe this clue would be easier than the last! But Biana's next words shook her out of the dream.

"You guys really can't see it?"

"No Biana! We obviously can't," Fitz said, obviously relieved that his sister seemed okay.

"That's strange. Wait... Sophie, can you hold my hand?" Sophie compiled, wondering what Biana would attempt to do next. She noticed that Biana had been a bit confident with her supposed next action, so she couldn't help but anticipate it. Sophie felt tingles go through her fingers as Biana grasped it tightly, and gulped.

Biana squeezed her eyes shut, leaving everybody in tense positions. Sophie felt her heart thump loudly and didn't realize that she had shut her eyes as well until Mr. Forkle alerted her.

"What's that?" Mr. Forkle asked. An object twinkled in Biana's hand, and it was roughly the size of her palm and had the colour of light. The object flickered momentarily when Biana stepped forward. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I think I am. Why? Can you guys still see it?" Biana asked. What was she thinking? Was the object magisdan again? Then why would it be yellow? Well, the light was yellow, and since the handcuffs were made of magisdan, maybe it left something that was a combination of both?

"We can see it flicker in and out of view," Granite answered, seeming as if in deep thought.

"Give me another second to work this out." Biana squinted her eyes, and the object flashed more vibrantly. "Did it work?"

"Uhuh, it's perfectly visible now." Linh tilted her head as if puzzled.

"I felt a tug in my stomach leading me somewhere when Sophie enhanced me. I think that's what makes it visible," Biana explained.

"Wait, then do you have to be enhanced, and concentrate to unveil the object?" Sophie asked. Would they have to hold hands every time to study the object? It really wasn't that big of a bother, but wouldn't it be very dangerous to have the mystery object invisible half the time? It would be hard to protect. They could easily lose it as well.

"Try letting go of Sophie's hand. I'll go ask Wraith if he is available. This is technically an emergency," Mr. Forkle decided, and many deep, relieved smiles emerged, one including Biana.

Sophie and Biana dropped hands, causing Biana to flicker disoriented in and out of view. She finally came fully into view, but the object hadn't returned with her.

"Maybe because the light made the magisdan handcuffs invisible," Fitz thought. "The remnant is also invisible."

"Yeah, that makes sense," Tam agreed, while Dex nodded along.

"Alright. But what is the actual object?" Biana asked, looking very fidgety. Sophie couldn't blame her, she would be as well, if she was carrying an unknown object that may as well be a bomb.