Chapter 28

"I'll do it," Sophie said, voice trembling. Everybody's voices stopped short. When Sophie had gotten enough of their protests, she had spoken out loud and stopped them. So she thought.

"Are you crazy!!!" Fitz shouted.

"No! You cannot!" Dex screamed at Sophie's face.

"We're not gonna lose you!" Biana exclaimed, hooking her arm with Sophie's.

"I don't this is a good idea -" Tam started, but Sophie cut him off.

She was not going to let them decide this decision for her. She snatched her arm away from Biana, pondering the possibilities.

Like it or not, she had to take the risk. For her sake, and for Oralie's.

Her guilt was down for the moment, but she knew it was partially her fault. It wasn't intentional, but she should've known that time was of the essence when looking at the supposed happy memory.

Maybe it wasn't her fault, but either way, she wouldn't be able to live with herself, if she knew she could have saved someone, but didn't.

It didn't matter if it was someone who Sophie had judged, and never forgave. It didn't matter if it was an innocent bystander. She would take the risk.

Besides, if life was worth what it was, wouldn't it be terrible to lose it?

She thought that if she could have her life, why couldn't they?

It simply was not fair.

"No," Sophie responded. "Her life is worth as much as mine. I know you guys don't want me to get hurt, but this..." she looked at everybody straight in the eye. "This is a risk I have to take."

Linh stepped forward. That was when Sophie realized that the gentle girl had not spoken a word throughout the whole ordeal.

"I get what you're saying Sophie..." she whispered, eyes trailing down Sophie's scar covered hand. "And we just... don't want you to get hurt. Councillor Oralie was not that close to us, but..." Linh placed a trembling hand on Sophie's shoulder. "I can't deny that she doesn't deserve her life either."

Sophie felt her eyes grow misty. She lifted her head to find everybody fighting back tears. Nobody had a dry eye, and no matter how hard Sophie searched, she couldn't find one that looked less remorseful than the other. Even the Collective.

"I agree," Juline said quietly, wiping away a tear. "Though it is your choice to heal her mind. None of us will blame you if you think you are not ready... The end result will be either drastic or amazing, though we will still support your decision."

"And it's not an easy one to make," Granite jumped in, becoming serious. "I know you may seem to be content with your decision, and none of us are trying to lure you away from it," He glared at Fitz, Dex, Biana and Tam. "It is dangerous, and there is a good chance that you will be dragged under the depth of Oralie's mind as well. But there's also a good chance that you'll have success."

Now all eyes were boring into her.

If she tried to heal Oralie...

And failed...

She wouldn't be able to heal other broken minds.

Innocent minds...

But... Life was full of dangers...

Sacrifices...

Risks...

She wasn't sure if this was the wrong decision. Or maybe the right one.

But she knew...

That it was the good one.

Sometimes...

She just had to trust... And let her mind and heart take control.