Chapter 33

"We're gonna look for clues, right? Keefe could've left us something!" Biana exclaimed, breaking Sophie out of her long doze.

"No, Miss Vacker. That is far too hasty for us to ever pull off. This is a very dangerous situation and what we should do is introduce you to your new temporary home," Mr. Forkle objected.

"Why not?" Sophie asked. "It's not like we've never been in danger or anything."

That was true. Sophie understood that Mr. Forkle was being cautious, but time was of the essence. The Neverseen could have taken the clue away already! She knew it wasn't good to act without much reasoning, and plan, but what would they do otherwise? Sit idle in their hideouts, waiting impatiently for someone else to report something? She refused for that to be the answer, she had to do something. With all the new information swimming in her head, Sophie felt ready to take action. To figure out the solution to the new crisis. Not to mention the worry overload for Keefe and the alicorns.

"Miss Foster, you need to understand that right now, safety is more of importance than trying to puzzle out this situation," Mr. Forkle stated, rubbing his head. "We cannot deal with all of this immediately. We first have to get things back into control."

"Yeah, but I feel like nothing will be in control either way." Tam looked dubiously at everybody. "I mean, haven't we've done the whole "put ourselves in danger" type of thing?"

"That is not the point -"

"Seriously though, then what is the point?" Dex interrupted.

"You kids are getting more stubborn by the hour..." Mr. Forkle groaned. "You don't understand how risky this will be!"

"Didn't we literally go into Nightfall, expecting some gorgodons to eat us up?" Fitz recalled.

"We were prepared back then!" Mr. Forkle retaliated. "We shouldn't even be having this conversation right now."

"I think we should," Sophie stepped in. "You told us to keep our questions because they were important -"

"That wasn't what I meant!"

Though technically it was. Questions like these were what kept them doubting, and improving the plans. Like now. They had no second chance. It was either now, or never to create an actual plan. They couldn't mess it up.

"Let's be prepared then," Sophie suggested. Everybody stared at her with confused expressions. "You said we aren't prepared for this, so let's be prepared! We need to make a plan. Our safety is Keefe's safety too. If he gets hurt, we get hurt. So let's make. A. Plan! What's holding us back? We're just scared that we'll end up where Keefe is right now. And if we get caught, who cares?! We would have been caught anyway if we hadn't taken action. So why not act now?"

Everything had come out of Sophie in one short breath. She hadn't even thought much about it, the words just flew out of her mouth.

Like it was true.

And maybe it was, because everybody fell silent, even Mr. Forkle like they were pondering the new possibilities.

"Are you sure?" Mr. Forkle finally whispered.

Yes. She was. Though she had fear for the upcoming commotion, it didn't overpower her hope and courage. So she took the next words directly from her heart.

"Yes."