Chapter 38

"I'll be fine..." Biana seemed to whisper as if to convince herself of the decision she had made. "I'll be really fine." She caught Fitz, Tam, Dex, Sophie, and Linh staring at her with sympathy. Especially Fitz. He looked as if he had lost his sister already. Sophie hoped that wasn't the case, though the way everybody was acting was making it hard to believe.

"Miss Vacker, I know you may feel pressured, but -"

"No! I'm fine. It's easy, in and out. Plus, isn't Sophie in danger as well?" Biana retaliated. She sent an apologetic look to Sophie and turned back. "She's gonna be beside me."

Sophie hadn't realized this, her head too filled with conflicted images of what could happen to Biana. She was still worried, though new images arose, filled with Lady Gisela's haunting, scarred face, arms reaching out.

"I'll be okay, don't worry about me, I'm not in as much risk as you." Sophie regretted the words as Fitz, Tam, Dex, and Linh turned pale. Even Mr. Forkle looked uneasy. So did Granite.

"Alright. Well, I -" Mr. Forkle started, "We need to settle this -"

"I agree," Granite interrupted. Sophie noticed that he was being more strict than usual, and she wondered why. Probably because of the risks involved. She should be worried, and maybe she was, but she felt too numb to even notice. Tam's normal composure looked cracked, a broken smile plastered onto his face. Linh looked burdened as she grasped Biana's hand tightly. Fitz had a protective hand on Biana's shoulder, while Dex looked unbearably pained. Sophie wanted to comfort them, but she knew she would only make it worse. How could she help others, when she wasn't even able to help herself?

"Biana," Mr. Forkle said steadily. "You are going to have a field of supporters and protectors next to you. But the fact that you will supposedly be in more danger does not chance. Are you really sure?"

Biana took a long pause, head down, and Sophie found herself wishing that Biana wouldn't take the risk. But as Biana looked up, determination and fear portrayed her expression. Sophie knew the answer before Biana declared her answer. Biana's emotions had shown already.

Don't do it.

Don't do it.

Don't do it.

And it seemed everybody knew that the decision would be the one with the hard sacrifice.

"I am."