Chapter 47 - the Finale

The room was blank, or maybe that was just Sophie's vision going dim from the worry hazing her brain. With shimmering crystal walls, they almost seemed like a sign of redemption but at the moment, they just seemed like an illusion or representation of what might come. A sacrifice covered up by a new life. The sparkles covering up the blank space. She barely registered that Grady and Edaline, even Sandor were lurking in the corners. Watching quietly. But all her thoughts dropped away, as Grady and Edaline came over, arms wide, with tear-filled eyes.

"We love you Sophie," they mumbled, voices dropping away to a sob.

Nothing seemed to matter except this time. Grady and Edaline, had always, always supported her decisions, did everything for her, and... now Sophie might have to leave. Would it devastate them if she left them? Would they start to crumble like they had after Jolie's death? Grady seemed to guess Sophie's thoughts as he said, "We'll stay strong for you. We'll stay strong."

Edaline nodded along, wiping a few tears off her cheek, and seemed to make a bittersweet smile. "Mr. Forkle explained everything to us. Are you ready?"

Hearing the words from her parents made everything feel different, and she almost shook her head in earnest, as she thought about the different opportunities that she could have with her friends and family if she erased this option.

Nobody would blame for not healing Councillor Oralie.

But...

She herself would.

"Yes," Sophie answered.

You're our brave moonlark, Sophie. Mr. Forkle transmitted.

Thank you, for letting me help so many people. Sophie transmitted back. Thank you for always being there for me in every second of my life. I'll never forget you.

"I'll never forget any of you," Sophie said out loud, feeling tears burning across her cheeks. "I love you all."

She knew there would be a chance she'd survive this whole ordeal, but it felt... like an end. Like she was using her last breath, her last attempt to save someone. She searched deep within her heart, and knew that it was the right decision. If she didn't survive... It was okay. Her friends, parents, the Black Swan, the Council, would find a way. She'd seen the determination on their faces whenever they fought the Neverseen together. Fought, for the good and peace of their world. For the future.

This was her fight. And she was going down with a blast.

So she walked over to the bed and found the desperation and unrest on Oralie's face, and knew it would be cruel to leave one in that insanity.

She didn't know what would happen in the future. If healing Oralie would lead to bodies. If one redemption would mean many more. Or more sacrifices. Well, at least if they recovered Oralie, they'd be able to look more into Stellarlune.

Giving one long look to everybody in the room, she dove her consciousness into the fury of Oralie's mind.

A huge blow blew her mind back, and she wearily looked around and saw pure darkness surrounding her, a huge nothingness. She was alright here. Nothing would happen to her, so ... Where was Oralie hiding?

It would be in the nook, but where would the nook be? Somewhere with an illusion of safety, safety... Illusion... Illusion. Illusion. Illusion!

Oralie? She tried. Oralie?

Blackness swallowed her words, after less than a second, making it clear that transmitting would do nothing.

She dove forward, and felt surprised when nothing jumped back at her, no interruptions.