Chapter 19

Sophie paced back and forth.

Was Elwin okay? He had been ready to go to Foxfire, but there was a small chance that he might have stayed behind for a bit. Probably to get some mallowmelt from Edaline. Though it didn't change the heartbreaking fact that Elwin could have been in the midst of the explosion.

Elwin was caring, loving, always never gave up when Sophie was hurt. He treated her less like a patient and more of a family member.

Elwin was the one who had saved her life when she almost lost herself in light leaping.

The one who treated her day and night, tirelessly, when Umber had smashed her hand.

He insisted to always heal her injuries, big, or small.

But who would heal his?

If there was anything to save at all...

He didn't deserve this.

Sophie sank down onto the floor, barely feeling the cold.

She had dealt with grief before.

But this was different.

It was overpowering her.

Sophie was the one who had brought him into this mess.

Whether she liked it or not, she couldn't ignore that.

She needed to help.

Needed to do something useful.

No way she was going to the back of the cavern where it was all safe and sound.

If Elwin was in danger, she would bring herself in as well. To divide the risk and danger that he shouldn't even have had.

She stumbled up and banged against the front wall of the cavern.

Bang.

Bang.

Bang.

BANG!

Why wouldn't the stupid door open?! She couldn't think at all. Everything was chaotic in her head.

Elwin needed her. She needed him!

BANG!!!

The sound echoed towards the end of the cavern

Why was this so frustrating?!

"Sophie?!" Somebody exclaimed. She swivelled around to find a blond elf with surprised ice blue eyes staring at her.

"Keefe?" Sophie asked. Why was he here?

"Foster! You're okay!" Keefe jogged to her side. "We heard some banging noises." he turned to face her, taking her hands, as Sophie looked away.

"I need to go," she said, thinking about the possibilities of getting out. Maybe...

She yanked herself away from Keefe and reached out a hand towards the front wall. It all depended on this. But... did it? Was there anything she could even do? Who knew if beyond the wall was nothingness. After all, they had light leaped here. But it was better than nothing.

Sophie was going to save Elwin, and she didn't care what would get in her way.

"Granite wouldn't tell us anything," Keefe continued, breaking her concentration. "and-"

"Can you be quiet for a second?" Sophie asked. His face fell, and Sophie immediately regretted her harsh tone. "Sorry, I'm just a bit tense, and need to concentrate."

He didn't look satisfied, but he let her be, standing a safe distance from her.

After this problem was solved, Sophie would somehow make it up to him.

If it would be solved.

She pictured a seed inside the wall, imagining it filled up with her energy.

She piled the energy without any hesitation, as it slowly increased in size, and finally burst from the pressure.

She closed her eyes as pieces of the wall flew towards her. She had no more energy to stop it with telekinesis. Or to explode it. She should have been more careful. This was the end. All because of a rash mistake. A mistake that could have been prevented. Like everything.

As a rock bigger than her head rocketed towards her, she was pushed with unnatural force to the side. She fell to the ground as her hands searched for an anchor. Her hands slid across the rocks, making them scrape unpleasantly. How had she survived?

But then she heard a groan.

Sophie forced herself to crawl up to the noise. Praying that whoever it was wasn't hurt, she opened her eyes.

Keefe lay down on the ground where she had been standing less than a minute ago, blood endlessly streaming from the corner of his forehead.