Chapter 24

"C'mon!" Dex said for the millionth time, tugging her arm. Dex and Fitz dragged Sophie to the pace of a sprint, as they raced towards the Leapmaster. She soon discovered that it was Everglen, as she recognized the crystal walls.

Why were they so excited?! She didn't exactly like not being well-informed, she had spent her entire life seeking answers. But she supposed she could bear with it if it was nothing drastic.

"Mr. Forkle told us the meeting would unfold something big," Fitz said, more calmly than before. Which didn't make Sophie feel much better.

He squealed, not able to contain his excitement. Sophie gaped in shock, almost halting mid-run. This wasn't right. Fitz wouldn't do that even if the Neverseen got taken down. Well, maybe he would. It was hard to imagine, with all the disadvantages they had, and the advantages the Neverseen had.

Sophie tore her mind away from those thoughts. It wasn't good to dwell on them, she had no answer for it, or didn't, right at the moment.

She didn't notice they were at the Leapmaster until a few seconds later. Fitz and Dex looked at her expectantly.

"What?" she asked, exasperated. This was getting a bit out of hand. What was she supposed to do? Let them drag her like she was their little doll?

An unnecessary thought rose up from her head, and Sophie shook her mind from the image of a moonlark stuffy.

Which made her think of Ella, her elephant stuffy. She pondered, wondering where her beloved friend was when her heart dropped.

Ella had been in the midst of the explosion.

Sophie staggered to hold the nearest object beside her. As she looked up, eyes misty, Fitz was holding her by the arm.

"What's wrong?!" Fitz exclaimed alarmingly, causing Dex to glance over to them.

"Ella." Was all Sophie could say, before the moonlark collapsed into Fitz's arms, sobbing and heaving.

Fitz's face softened as the truth dawned upon him. He let her hug and cling on to him, face half-buried into his shoulder.

She knew it might be silly, but Ella had been there for her when no one else had. When the whole world had turned against her.

Fitz and Dex seemed to understand that.

She wanted to stay there forever, mourning the loss, but Dex held up his hand tentatively.

Dex's eyebrows creased. "Wait."

Sophie looked up, drying her eyes in the process, preparing to let go of her feelings for the elephant.

"Edaline probably took Iggy and Ella to their hideout," Dex thought. "Edaline and Grady got their own hideout, to decrease the risk of being found, so..." Sophie's eyes widened at the theory.

Sophie wanted to hug Dex for providing the answer she needed. And she didn't remember seeing Ella beside her pillow, when she was being treated at Havenfield, as usual.

With the sudden turn of events, she felt energetic.

"Let's go," she exclaimed, hooking her arms into Fitz's and Dex's.

We are facing rough times with racism, and COVID-19. Let us treat this situation the right way, and support each other.