Chapter 34

"Is this it?" Biana asked. It was what Sophie was thinking as well. She was expecting the hideout where Keefe was taken, to be more... Burnt. Chaotic. Scarred. But it was almost as identical as before, white walls, plain, just a room with a few cots and shelves.

"Stand back," Mr. Forkle warned, as he waved a sceptre-like object in the air. It beeped a red colour, and he set it down into his pocket. Sophie assumed it was a sensor, as he assured everybody that the room was all clear. That was all Sophie needed to hear, before trying to stride into the room. Though a big hand held her back, and from the groans and sighs from her friends, she assumed they were going through the same thing as her.

"We need to check the area for any invisible dangers," Sandor announced, shoving Sophie gently behind him. "Stay here, and don't you dare follow us." All the goblin bodyguards stalked to the corners of the room, though Woltzer stayed an extra second behind to glare at Biana as a warning. Sophie couldn't stop her heart from thumping loudly, as Sandor brandished a sword and pointed it to the cot where Keefe had been originally. She held her breath as Sandor leaned into the cot, sniffing the air. Soon, all the goblins returned to their charges. "The area is clear, but I don't want you, and your friends going anywhere near that cot. I sensed that Lady Gisela came here." The name sent a shiver up Sophie's back. Though she was more concerned with the fact that now they knew that Keefe was actually being held by Lady Gisela.

Sandor stuck to her side as she surveyed the room. She slowly walked over to the wall, trying not to miss anything. Sophie was so focused that she didn't even notice somebody nudging her. Sandor made a quick motion behind her, so fast that she didn't even see the change. He had changed his sword to a dagger. "It's just me." Biana appeared.

"I know, Miss Vacker, my senses are keen," Sandor told her. Sophie had no doubt of that, but she couldn't help recalling all the times the Neverseen had tricked him and the others. Though he wasn't the one to blame. She knew the Neverseen was very manipulative. The last thought made her shiver in worry. Though all thoughts were dragged away as Biana yanked Sophie towards the cot. Sandor glared at Woltzer for losing his charge again, as Sophie stumbled after Biana. She stopped short when she realized the troublemaking Vanisher was heading toward the cot where Keefe had been in.

Half of her wanted to stop Biana, tell her that it was too dangerous already, but an annoying side of her wanted to follow, and inspect every inch of the mysterious cot. Sandor placed a hand on Sophie's shoulder, reminding her that he was still there, and stalking her.

"C'mon, you do realize the only clue in the room will probably be here?" Sophie gestured toward the irritating cot.

"Yes, Sophie, but your safety is more important than -" Sandor started, but Mr. Forkle interrupted.

"How about we search everything around the cot first," Mr. Forkle suggested.

Sophie looked around the blank room with distaste. There was barely anything! She knew if the cot wouldn't have anything, the shelves sitting in the room wouldn't either. But Sandor looked anything but ready to let Sophie explore the cot. So did Mr. Forkle. There was nothing to do now, except to prove them wrong. To prove that the cot was more valuable than they thought. So she nodded and went along with the parade. She knew even though she thought that the surroundings of the cot may prove useful, there was a big possibility that there would be something useful. Inspecting the dull shelves and elixirs that her friends had already checked, she felt like she was wasting her time. But she supposed what she had considered before about not messing this up also related to this. Mr. Forkle refused for everybody except him, and the goblins to study the other cots. Sophie knew that they were supposed to try to stay protected and unharmed, but it got extremely annoying when she literally wasn't making any progress in the situation.

Finally, when Sophie was ready to burst the room open - she noticed that Linh, Fitz had already cerated havoc, and Biana tried to get to the cots with her invisibility - Mr. Forkle ordered them to regroup in the centre of the room.

"This still isn't safe," he warned. "We should be going as soon as possible, but I know you kids want to check out the cot where Mr. Sencen laid, and I understand your concerns, but -"

"What?!" Everybody screeched.

They had spent their time here, persisting to look at the cot for absolutely nothing?! What was the whole point?!

"Lady Gisela kidnapped him there! It's safe to assume that she has transportation made to come here, and it probably brings her right to this spot! Do you kids know how dangerous that is?"

Sophie's mind tried to think of alternatives, but couldn't seem to find a good excuse as she rejected each plan.

"But we've done more dangerous things!" Dex retaliated. That led to another shouting match, leaving Sophie with a blaring headache.

If they didn't look at the cot, then their last chance of finding Keefe could very well be lost.

"Stop," Sophie realized. "Stop. This isn't helping us at all. We either do it now or never. We have to take this risk."

Mr. Forkle opened his mouth to argue, and closed it, rubbing his temples. "Fine," he said finally. "But be prepared for serious security. Don't worry," Mr. Forkle told Sophie when she protested. "One of us will keep watch on this room when we go back. And before you argue, remember that we prepared every single risk with security. Just because time is of its essence, doesn't mean this rule doesn't apply."

Everybody nodded, as relief bloomed out of Sophie's mind. At first, she thought she was going to be fighting a losing battle with Mr. Forkle, but now they understood each other. And they would get through this. All of them. All of them.