02 | then

Noble Creek High,
Sophomore year,
Day 184

"Before we end today's class, I have an assignment for you guys," said Mr

"Before we end today's class, I have an assignment for you guys," said Mr. Bennett.

The word 'assignment' instantly made all of us groan and whine. Damn it! I thought I would finally have a free weekend.

Mr. Bennett laughed at the class' reaction. "It will be a fun assignment, I promise."

"Mr. Bennett, you can't put 'fun' and 'assignment' in the same sentence! It just doesn't work that way." said Trent.

"Well, it can be if you tried. You guys will need to pick a fictional book and analyze it. You will need to analyze the plot, setting, characters, conflict, climax, resolution, and the ending. You also have to include the author's writing style and give your insight into the story and its development. You can choose any genre except erotica. I absolutely do not want to know what you guys think about that particular genre." said Mr. Bennett shuddering a little.

"Aw, man," said Trent as he sulked playfully.

The whole class burst into laughter at the silliness of the one and only jokester, Trent. Even Mr. Bennett couldn't resist holding back a smile.

"Okay, okay. This is due by next week and you guys know what that means, right?" He asked with a pointed look.

"Get started on it today." Every one of us chanted in harmony.

Mr. Bennett put on a proud smile. "Good, now class dismissed."

I quickly took my things and left the class to get to my locker because I knew my locker buddy—who also happens to be my best friend—would already be there. As soon as my vision caught her figure, I picked up my pace.

"Nina! You won't believe this. I got a freaking book analysis assignment!"

She casually looked at me as if I didn't just appear out of nowhere. "I believe it, actually."

"I have to read a book, Nina! A book that has so many pages and too many words!" I complained as I rested my back against my locker.

"You're exaggerating, Hera." She deadpanned.

"No, I'm not! You know how much I hate reading. Like why would a sane person pick reading over watching movies and TV shows?"

"Just because you don't like it doesn't mean people who read are insane. Don't discriminate."

And there's one of the main reasons why I love and respect my best friend. Nina is never afraid to call out people's mistakes, assumptions, or wrongful doing or saying. She is an advocate for human rights so she's always making sure that people around her are doing and saying the right things. Even if it was as small as my discrimination towards people who read.

"Fine, that's my bad. But I don't know what to do. I don't know how I'm going to do an assignment that I hate."

"Aren't we all in the same situation? There's always a subject that makes us want to rip our heads off. But at the end of the day, we still got to do well. Because if we don't? Then, we can say 'bye-bye' to college."