07 | now

Noble Creek High,
Senior year,
Present day

After crying for what seemed like a long time, I ultimately calmed down and let the tears on my face dry on their own

Hunter never came looking for me. Or maybe he tried searching for me but he couldn't find me. I don't really know and I don't really care. He can go and fuck himself for all I care. I only curse when it's absolutely necessary and this is unquestionably necessary.

I'm actually glad and relieved that he didn't come to me because then I would have to face him again and I honestly don't know what I would do. Or what to do. So, I'm glad I'm saved from that hassle.

But there are downsides to everything. Because now it was just eerily quiet. The silence in the library was deafening and suffocating. My music usually saved me from the silence but with my phone being dead, I had no choice but to deal with the deafening silence.

Realizing that I hadn't finished reading the book, I decided to kill time by continuing it. Reading in the dark was a definite struggle so, I adjusted myself to a seating position where I'll directly be under the natural light that was shining through the circular window. The moment I started reading from where I left, I easily got lost in the world of 'Cupid's Match'. This book was so fun to read and left me wanting more. I certainly saw myself buying this book. I mean, who wouldn't?

I spent the next hour finishing the book and boy, was that an adventurous rollercoaster ride. I finally looked up from the paperback and stretched my neck, getting rid of the knots that sneakily made their way to my neck. At the corner of my eye, I saw something move which made me scream in fear immediately.

"What the hell?! When did you even get here?!" I asked shocked and puzzled at the fact that Hunter was sitting across from me.

"A while ago." He answered simply.

"Why didn't you say something? You know, instead of scaring me to death?"

Through the little amount of light, I was able to see his lips curve upwards which let his dimples appear on his cheeks, making him look extremely adorable. As much as I hate to admit it, my heart skipped a beat at the sight of his dimples and the fact that I made him smile. Even if it was a small one. Damn, his dimples will always be my weakness.

"You were in another world. You know I'll never disturb that." He said making me shut my mouth.

That's classic Hunter Knight. He was always intent on never disrupting each other's reading because he believes that if you got lost in those pages filled with words, then that's a book you'll never be able to forget. And he was absolutely right. That was one of the things I loved about him.

"I'm sorry." He said softly.

"It's fine, I wasn't that scared."

"No, I meant about earlier. I crossed the line. I'm sorry, Hera."

My eyes widened at his apology. Honestly, I thought he wouldn't apologize because he was such a smug egotistical bastard. But I guess he wasn't that egotistical. Though still a smug bastard.

"Will you forgive me?" He asked looking at me with a hopeful gaze.

I almost said yes because of the way his mesmerizing grey eyes were staring into mine. How does one even say no to those sparkly eyes? It's almost impossible! Looking away, I cleared my thoughts to think straight. This is Hunter Knight, we're talking about. He is an asshole who loves to play games with you, Hera. Don't. Give. In.

"Why should I? You acted like a complete pig." I said without looking at him.

"That is why I'm sorry. I was a douche to you and you didn't deserve that. Please forgive me, Hera. We have to work together to find a way out and that can't happen if we can't even stand to be in each other's presence. Let's call it a truce, okay?"

He was right. He was exasperatingly right. Finding a way out was supposed to be our top priority. I shouldn't let his aggravating self interfere in this important mission. It's time to focus on 'Operation Escape Reality'.

"Fine. But only because you make total sense." I said while I got up and dusted my clothes.

Hunter got up as well with his eyes never moving away from me. "I have an idea. Not sure if it will work or not, but it's worth a try, I guess."

That piqued my interest as I finally looked at him. "What is it?"

"The window." He said with his hands in the front pockets of his jeans making him look irresistibly handsome.

I cleared my throat to clear my stupid thoughts. I wasn't supposed to be thinking about his handsomeness at a time like this. I shouldn't be thinking about him at all. Step out of it, Hera!

I looked at Hunter and waited for him to elaborate but he just stared at me and stood there like an idiot thinking that I would understand what his plan was from two simple words.

"What about the window, Hunter?" I asked, slightly irritated.

"Oh. Right. We can try to break the glass on the biggest window in the library and jump out."

My jaw dropped at his idea. "That's your plan? For us to drop to death?"

"We won't drop to death, Hera." He said mocking my words. "I checked earlier and I saw a mattress right below the window."

"What?" I asked bewildered.

"Yeah. I think a homeless person is living on that mattress."

"What?! A homeless person is living outside of our school?"

"That's what I just said....?"

Holy hell. There was actually a homeless person living right outside of our school. That was a little odd, to be honest. Did the school know about this? Probably not considering how they would have chased that poor person right away.

"What if we fall on that poor man or woman?" I asked a little concerned.

"There was no one there when I checked. And you can take a look for yourself when you're about to jump."

I guess that convinced me a little. It was still a very bad idea. But as Hunter said, it was worth a shot.

"Okay then. It's time for us to officially commence Operation Escape Reality."