16 | then

Noble Creek High,
Sophomore year,
Day 230

"So, I'm worried about Newt," Nina asked as I was putting my stuff in my locker

"Why? What happened?" I asked a little concerned.

"He has been acting shady. I feel like he's hiding something from me and he never hides anything from me." She said with slight sadness floating in her eyes.

"Maybe it's really nothing. Maybe you're just overthinking." I said trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.

"Honestly, I thought the same. But then it's not just Newt, Hera. My parents are acting shady as well. I feel like they're all hiding something from me and I hate that I'm left out." She said resting her back against the locker next to mine.

"Why don't you ask Newt about it?"

She gave me a pointed look. "Do you really think he will spill?"

I looked away knowing what the answer to her question is. Newt is never one to crack under pressure. He is sturdy as hell. I looked back at Nina and saw her troubled expression. There really must be something for her to worry this much about it.

"Hey," I said holding her shoulder. "Whatever it is, I'm sure Newt will tell you about it. Put your trust in him, Nina. Don't worry too much, okay?"

She smiled weakly and nodded. "I'm going to get going to help Dad with Mom's clinic appointment. He should be here by now." She said looking at her wristwatch. "I'll see you tomorrow and please ask Newt for a ride home if you stay late. He has lacrosse practice anyway."

"Okay, see you," I said and waved at her as she walked away.

I was about to close my locker when I felt someone's presence beside me. I recognized the strong fragrance that erupts an ache in my head instantly and so, I prepared myself for her annoying self.

"Hey, cous," I said turning to face her.

She smirked. "Hello to you too loser. So, there's this ridiculous rumor going around that you, Hera Hawkins, are hanging out with the Hunter Knight." She stated with disgust apparent on her facial features.

"What are you trying to say, Melanie?" I sighed.

"There is no way Hunter would willingly want to hang around you. What did you do to him, huh? Did you beg on your knees for him or something?" She laughed and looked at her friends behind her. "Can you imagine that? She—being pathetic as usual—begging Hunter to date her? That would totally be Instagram story worthy."

"Just what do you want, Melanie?" I said sounding tired.

"Oh, you know, just letting you know that Hunter Knight is totally out of your league." She stepped closer and fixed her mean gaze on my eyes. "Stop trying so hard to get his attention. It's a little too pathetic. Even for you."