04 | then

Noble Creek High,
Sophomore year,
Day 188

Noble Creek High,Sophomore year,Day 188

'One of Us is Lying' was phenomenal. And I'm not even overstating. It was purely phenomenal.

During the weekend, I started on all my homework except Mr. Bennett's assignment because the mere thought of reading repulsed me immediately.

After throwing a lot of tantrums and procrastinating multiple times, I did get to it eventually because I simply had no choice. Picking up the book that I borrowed from the library—the book that Hunter Knight recommended to me—I got on my bed and stared at it.

I was still unable to process that Hunter talked to me. The supposedly scary, drug dealing, illegal fighting, Hunter. The one who everyone in school stays clear of. Except for his group of friends, of course.

But the thing that bothered me was how unscary he was when he talked to me. For a person who had that kind of reputation, he seemed surprisingly really nice.

There's also the fact that he actually reads. He definitely didn't seem like that type though. Who would've thought that the boy who is rumored to be dangerous and wears leather jackets—which he pulls off really well—would keep reading as a hobby? But then again, that's just very stereotypical of me.

If Nina were to hear about this, she would be like, 'Is there a law that says bad boys in leather jackets aren't allowed to read or do anything they like? No, obviously. So, take your prejudice and throw it in the damn trash'. I would have obeyed without any hesitation.

Sighing, I finally opened the book and started reading the words from the first chapter. As I was reading it, I found myself slowly getting captivated by the events and the characters of the book. I hadn't actually read the synopsis of the book so I didn't know what I was getting into. I slowly realized that it was a murder mystery and it's safe to say that I couldn't keep the book down.

Which means I read the entire book in one sitting.

With the book being absolutely phenomenal, I started on my analysis right away as a sudden adrenaline rush ran through my veins. I was so focused on my assignment that even my mom was worried about me. I was proud of myself for completing the assignment without Newt's help and definitely gave myself a pat on my shoulders.  

My eyes have been watching the hands of the clock on the wall the entire time Mr. Bennett has been conducting his class. Because all I want right now is for the bell to ring so I could submit my assignment to Mr. Bennett.

As if on cue, the bell rang indicating that the class was finally over. I hastily packed my bag in under ten seconds and almost ran towards Mr. Bennett's desk.

"Woah. What is the rush?" Mr. Bennett asked slightly surprised at my unusual enthusiasm.

"Hi, Mr. Bennett. Before I give you this, I just want to say, great assignment! Before this assignment, I hated reading with a passion. Like I hated the number of words and pages because I thought it was—pardon me for my language—a pain in my ass. But oh my God, how I was severely wrong! I wouldn't ever have touched a book if it weren't for you, Mr. Bennett. You seriously changed my life and I like to thank you for that. So, thank you, Mr. Bennett." I said with a huge grin.