01 | now

Noble Creek High,
Senior year,
Present day

"Do you guys know about the legend of The Red Thread of Fate?" asked Mr

"Do you guys know about the legend of The Red Thread of Fate?" asked Mr. Bennett, my English teacher.

I shook my head as my fellow classmates responded the same way.

"The Red Thread of Fate is similar to the modern idea of having a soulmate. The one person we are destined to be with. The red thread—which is invisible—connects two people who are destined to meet regardless of time, place, or circumstances. The thread can stretch or tangle, but it could never break."

"I think that's sweet. I think to be destined with someone is so romantic." said a girl named Aubrey.

"Nah, to be with one person our whole life is boring." said a boy named Trent earning a glare from Aubrey.

"It may be boring for you but for other people—like Aubrey for example—it's romantic. And to some other people, it's neither," said Mr. Bennett.

"What do you think, Mr. Bennett?" asked an eager Linda.

"I think it's a gift. To find that one person you will spend the rest of your life with, is a priceless gift. There are so many people in this world who have yet to find their soulmate. These people have come across so many potential soulmates. Their hopes get high every single time. And when the relationship falls apart, it crushes them. Because they realized that person is not their soulmate. Never was, never will."

I shut my eyes tight at Mr. Bennett's words. He reminded me of everything I was trying to forget. He reminded me of that one person I absolutely loathe. He reminded me of him. I swallowed back the rising bile in my throat and looked back at Mr. Bennett.

"But at some point, every relationship fails and falls apart. So, how will we actually know if we have found our soulmate?" asked Linda.

She had a good point. A very good one actually.

"Remember how I said that the thread can stretch or tangle, but it will never break? The stretch or tangle is a metaphor for how there is a strain in the relationship. The couple might have an argument or a huge fight or a disagreement and they might even go as far as breaking up. But at the end of the day, they'll always find their way back to each other. Always. And that's how you know they're soulmates. Because their thread will never break. Because their bond and their love for each other is so strong that they can get past anything and everything."

That seems impossible these days.

"What seems impossible?"

I looked up and quickly noticed that every pair of eyes were settled on me. Oh no, did I say that aloud? My hands started to get sweaty and my mouth went dry at the sudden attention from everyone in the room. Clearing my throat, I decided to speak simply because I dug my own grave.