11 | now

Noble Creek High,
Senior year,
Present day

The silence was peaceful for the first time ever since we've been stuck in the library

After our laughter died, we silently agreed to just be in each other's presence as we took a break from Operation Escape Reality.

Since standing wasn't even an option, we decided to sit against the wall that had the biggest window. The one we attempted to jump out of. It was still baffling to know how stupid that plan sounded and yet I still agreed to it impulsively.

Hunter and I just sat there in peace and listened to each other breathe. The sound of his breathing was strangely calming and soothing. Even though it was him, I chose to take what I got. Simply because I had no other choice.

This was Hunter. The guy who broke my heart into a million pieces. I never let myself forget that. Not even for a second. Because the moment I do, I will fall for his trap yet again. But we were both stuck in this suffocating library and there was no point in arguing or ignoring each other when we can help each other.

We were not bonding or fixing our relationship. There was no relationship. We were just a boy and a girl stuck in this unfortunate situation together, trying to find a way out. That's all. That's all there is.

"What was the book you were reading earlier on?" Hunter asked, breaking the silence.

I guess the silence wasn't so peaceful for him.

"Cupid's Match. Have you read it?"

"Oh, is it the one with the real cupid and a human girl being matched and summoning the Greek Goddess to Earth or something?"

I smiled. "Yeah, that's the one."

"I've read that one. It was seriously interesting. A unique read."

I instantly grinned. "Tell me about it! It was so different from other fantasies and it was so fun to read. I freaking love Cupid! I loved how he recognized Lila as his match instantly even with Cal trying to mess with him. It's like he knew from the moment their eyes met." I smiled at that thought fondly.

"Yeah. All it takes is that one moment," said Hunter.

I shifted my gaze to him to find that he was looking at me with such intensity. The one that he used to give me while we were still together. I looked away immediately and brought my knees closer to my chest.

"I liked Cal though. He was a weirdly funny character, to be honest." He said lightening the mood.

I chuckled as I remembered how Cal was in the book. "Yeah, he was funny. Even with his 'I'm-so-cool' exterior. But when he said that he wasn't expecting Lila to be Cupid's Match, I swear I wanted to slap him right there and then."

"Why?" He frowned.

"Because he was indirectly saying that Lila wasn't up to Cupid's standard. Not everything is about the looks. Personality outweighs appearance. Period."