06 | then

Noble Creek High,
Sophomore year,
Day 196

"So, I have finally graded all of your latest assignments and I have to say, I was genuinely surprised at the results

"So, I have finally graded all of your latest assignments and I have to say, I was genuinely surprised at the results. The people I expected to excel didn't do so well and the people I expected to fall short did brilliantly well."

My eyes sparkled with hope. I usually didn't do well in Mr. Bennett's classes so there was a fat chance that I could be the student he expected to fall short but did brilliantly well. I really wanted to have a good grade not just because I needed to do well but because I worked really hard and gave my best shot at this particular assignment.

Mr. Bennett passed out the assignment papers back to the students at the front and I anxiously waited for mine to be placed on my desk. As the papers were passed on from student to student, my gaze was fixed on the papers. It finally reached me and I quickly took mine while covering the grade written on my paper. I then passed the rest of the papers to the person behind me.

Muttering my final prayers, I slowly uncovered the grade and soon, I found my eyes widening at the very big A+ written in red. I almost literally jumped in joy but controlled myself because I realized I was still in class. However, I did giggle to myself as the smile on my face refused to leave. Just then, the bell rang loudly making all of us start packing our bags hastily.

"Please don't forget to get your pre-reading done for our next class." Mr. Bennett reminded us before we left the class.

"Miss Hawkins." Mr. Bennett called as I was about to leave the classroom.

"Yes, Mr. Bennett?"

"That assignment that you turned in was outstanding and exceptional. It allows me to believe that you have solid potential in anything related to English."

"Really? You think so?"

"I know so." He smiled. "But I do have to ask. How did you go from disliking English to loving English?"

My eyes widened at the fact that my English teacher knew about my immense dislike towards the subject that he teaches. "You knew?"

"Of course. I could detect your dislike from your work. That is why I'm extremely curious. What changed?"

"I guess someone helped me to find the reader in me," I said smiling at the thought of Hunter.

"Cryptic. I like that. I'm glad that someone helped you." He said in honesty.

"I'm glad too." I smiled. "See you soon, Mr. Bennett," I said and left the class to head to the cafeteria.

Just then, I felt a buzzing through my left jean pocket. I took out my phone and saw that my boss was calling me. That is weird. He never calls me. I accepted the call and heard my boss telling me something I never thought I would hear from him.

Shit!

I speed-walked towards the cafeteria and scanned the area to find the one person I needed the most right now. My eyes landed on her right after two seconds and I wasted no time in making my way towards her.