Chapter 13 Noah

I spent the ride back from the quarry making some calls on my phone. I wanted to take Millie somewhere special and I knew she loved the ocean. Unfortunately we were in Atlanta and the nearest ocean was a days drive away but I figured I could take her to the next best thing: A lake.

To be specific, The Ritz-Carlton Resort at Lake Oconee. I knew she had been there a few years ago with Lilia and loved it.

I was frantically calling my bank, trying to convince them I was old enough to book a room. I argued with customer service for 15 minutes while they repeatedly told me that I was a minor and couldn't make a payment of that size on my debit card. 

I lost my cool a bit at this point and told them I was a fucking millionaire and then they hung up. I could see Shawn shaking his head in the passenger seat next to me. I had no doubt that he was disappointed in my outburst. 

"Just because you're a millionaire doesn't mean you can do whatever you want."

"I know I shouldn't have said that." I mumbled with regret. 

"Their just doing their job and making sure you don't blow your money on something stupid."

"It would have been nice to do something myself though. I don't want have to go to my parents every time I want to buy something with my own money. I'd rather screw up and make some bad decisions now that grow up and not know how to handle financial stuff."

Shawn frowned and I could tell he was thinking about what I had just said. 

"I don't say this very often but you have a point. You should start making some big decisions yourself."

"Thank you! All I get to do now is choose I wear each day. And sometimes even that gets picked out for me."

Shawn smiled and patted my leg. I guess thats his way of showing sympathy. 

"I'll tell you what Noah, I'll take care of paying for your little outing but you have to do something in return for me. Also by the way when I said take her to a park I didn't exactly mean a luxurious 5 star resort."

"Sorry it's a little over the top but I know she'll love it. What do you want me to do for you?" 

We pulled into the Studio lot and Shawn flashed his ID card at the guard. It wasn't really necessary seeing as we were in a very obvious car and the convertible made both our heads visible to the guard. He opened the gate quickly and Shawn drove back into the garage, parking the car in exactly the same spot. 

"Tomorrow morning..." He paused, while we got out of the car. "You're going to clean this car."

"umm okay."

"I'm paying for your trip, and in return you will do physical labor."

"I'm pretty sure I would have to clean a few hundred cars to fairly pay off the trip."

"That's not the point Noah. I just want you to see what it's like to do some real work."

"Okay Dad. How do you want me to clean it in here though." I asked, knowing I couldn't exactly spray water all over the garage floor. Shawn clearly hadn't thought of this and he hesitated for a second.

"There is a hose outside and I'm sure you'll find soap and a sponge in here somewhere. And here. Take this but you have to promise you only move it into the parking lot."

He slowly and reluctantly, handed me the key to the car. I held it in my hand like it was a rare jewel. It was surprisingly heavy, made out of metal rather than cheap plastic. 

Shawn stared at me for a few seconds before finally nodding at his decision. Without a word he walked away leaving me to figure out how to close the door to the garage. 

***

That evening, with the key to the car safely in my pocket, Millie and I met with the Duffers and Shawn yet again. This time we were discussing how to tell the fans the truth and we quickly decided we would do it tomorrow night. 

I knew that would interfere with my plans to take Millie to the Lake but during the discussion, Shawn glared at me and I kept quiet. Once everything was decided, Millie left the Duffers office to return to her trailer while I stayed behind.

"So," Matt said once the door closed behind Millie. "Shawn tells us you're surprising Millie and taking her on a date tomorrow."

"Uhh..." The word date made me uncomfortable. It was more of a hangout. A hangout where I take my girlfriend on a nice outing and treat her to dinner and oh my god I'm realizing this is totally a date. 

I guess Matt was right. "Yes I was hoping you would give us the day off... and the following morning as well."

Matt raised his eyebrows. "You're spending the night?"

I felt myself blush. "umm-"

"How many beds are in the room?"

"Matt stop it." Shawn said. "It's none of our business."

I mouthed the words "thank you" to Shawn and then I spoke up.

"Alright then. Thank you guys and I'll see you in two days." I made a break for the door. desperate to get away from the Duffers and see Millie. I still hadn't had a chance to be alone with her and explain what happened with Shawn.

Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky, and Matt had one last thing to say before I could leave.

"And Noah?"

"Yes?"

"Keep her safe."

I stared at the three men, each of the had their arms crossed so they looked like body guards. I swallowed and nodded at them before turning and finally leave that fucking office. 

***

That evening back in my trailer, after filling Millie in on my little trip to the quarry with Shawn, I finally got to tell her where we were going tomorrow. 

"So you remember that lake you went to a few summers ago?" 

We were both sitting on the couch, eating popcorn and watching a very romantic movie. Okay that's not totally true we were watching Elf in the middle of April but whatever. It had a romantic element. 

"Of course! Lilia and I had the best time there. The staff are amazing! We met this guy named Vihaan and he took us tubing on the lake..."

She stopped when she saw my confused expression.

"Sorry I got excited."

"It's fine." I said.

"So why'd you bring it up?"

"Well... what if I told you we have tomorrow off."

"I would sleep all day."

"Yeah me too but what if I told you we have the next morning off too. And that I got us a room at the Ritz tomorrow night.

"Noah."

I was beaming.

"Noah, Noah, Noah you did not. You're messing with me!"

"I'm dead serious, Shawn approved it and everything. We leave tomorrow at 10:00am."

"Oh my god Noah!"

Millie squealed in delight before engulfing me in a hug, completely knocking over the popcorn in the process. I didn't even care about the mess. It felt so good to make her happy.

She made it clear how thankful she was by cuddling with me on the couch for the rest of the movie.