Chapter 22 - Part 1 Noah

This chapter was requested back in June of 2020 by @UnnatiMishraMishra sorry it took so long. We're getting very close to the end of this book!

***

The scene in my room resembled getting ready for church as a nine year old. Except, instead of my mom yelling at me to get ready it was Millie.

"How did you lose your bow tie Noah?" 

I was searching through my closet as Millie repeatedly checked under the blankets on my bed. I only had my tux half on and I was missing my bowtie so I was kind of a mess."

"I don't know! It was here a few hours ago." 

"Well what did it look like?"

"you're asking me what a bow tie looks like?"

"I meant what color is it."

"Black."

We searched for a few more seconds and then I remembered where it was. I reached into my pocket and pulled it out.

Millie saw and put her head in her hands. 

"Oh my god Noah it was there the whole time?"

"Yeah. I forgot I put it here so I wouldn't lose it."

"A lot of good that did. Come here."

I walked over to her and she held out her hand, taking the tie and looping it around my neck. We were quiet as she worked, looping it through my collar and tying it in the front. As she concentrated, I watched her face. I studied her makeup which was done perfectly, not to much, not to little, and I resisted the urge to smash my lips into hers. 

She finished my bowtie and stepped back.

"There, it's all good." 

I looked down as best I could and saw it was tied perfectly. I gave it a tug to see if it stayed tied.

Millie slapped my hand away. 

"Don't touch it you'll mess up my work."

"How did you learn to tie that?" I asked.

"I just did."

"You don't just magically learn that. You must have watched a youtube video or... oh"

I felt bad for bringing up Millie's past boyfriends. I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me.. She was my first, I wasn't hers. That is okay, I just needed to forget about it and focus on now.

"You ready?" Millie said softly. She must have know what I was thinking. 

"Yeah." I pushed the bad thoughts out of my mind and took Millie's hand, leading her out of the room to face my parents. At the top my the stairs I turned to her and said:

"The real question is are you ready for me? Not many people can handle my dancing skills."

Millie grinned.

"I think you mean their feet can't handle getting stepped on."

"Hey! I do not-"

"Noah lets go!" My Dad's voice echoed from downstairs. "I want to go to dinner with your mother and I'm hungry."

We started down the stairs.

"Mitchell! Let them take their time." my Mom whispered to him. Though of course I could hear her too.

"The kid's been up there for half an hour he probably lost his bow tie or something. Plus, I made a reservation for 6:30pm."

"Honey I'm sure he didn't lose his-"