He needs a Lawyer

I sit back in the hospital chair, resting my head on my hand. I'm tired. I look at my phone. "Its 10:53". I shake my head. So much has happened and the day isn't even over yet. I walk around the hospital room, deep in thought.

"Oscar 'Spooky' Diaz" I heard a female voice say on the TV. I look up, a picture of Oscar's face was on the TV screen with the word "Suspect in Custody" in bold written above it. I grab the remote and raise the volume as I watch the news report.

"This is an ongoing investigation police describe as a bloody massacre involving 22 year old Bernice Miller that was brutally beatened and murdered" I gasp sitting at the edge of the bed. "Stacey Delgado more commonly known as Cuchillos the head of the notorious Santos gang of Freeridge was also found dead amongst the body count" I furrow my brows, my mouth wide open.

"Police have only one individual in custody, 22 year old Oscar "Spooky" Diaz, a 2 time felon and leader of the Santos. Police urges anybody with information to please call crime stoppers at 1-800-72-Crime. We will continue to update as the investigation continues. In other news..." I sit there in shock. "B is dead?" I whisper, "it can't be she texted me an-" my eyes watered. "Oscar" I blink, my tears fall against my jeans.

I pull out my phone, scroll through my contacts. Bossman. I tap to call. *ring ring ring* "Thank you for reaching attorney Joseph Nuñez plea-" I hang up. I keep scrolling down. Reginald Simms. I hesitate. I know the business relationship they have, he might not want to risk getting exposed or causing him the case.

I grab a handful of hair, rest the phone against my lips and pace up and down the room. I jump as the Law and Order ringtone played startling me. Bossman. "Hey boss" I answer cooly. "I was speaking with Reginald" he begins with no introduction. "Viviana I'm not going to lie, it's bad. This is a high profile case and Oscar is facing multiple felonies from murder to kidnapping"

He sighs. "We want this, but we need you as far away from this case as possible." I feel like he just stabbed me in the heart. Oscar ended it earlier with me and it feels like this is just him pushing me further out of his life. I swallow hard. "Viviana? you understand right?" He repeats. "That's fine, as long as he doesn't go with a public defender" I say understandably.

"We cant just show up, so you need to have someone hire us, sign the retainer agreement, then Reginald will go down to the police station" He advises. "Ok, I'll go to his brother, Oscar is smart, he'll exercise his right to counsel" I said grabbing my keys. "I'll wait for the call" Joseph says hanging up.

I look back at Tia Nora, she's fast asleep. I write on the medical white board, "Titi, I'll be back, had to head home ❤". I opened the door, the security at my door looked back at me. "I'll be back in an hour, nobody goes in this room" I inform. He smiles and nods. I head to the entrance, handing my valet ticket to the attendant. Yeah I'm not going to the garage again. I look up Cesar's number on my phone, dial it while I wait. It went to voicemail. I look at my phone, "seriously does nobody pick up a phone anymore?!" I mumble to myself. I hand the valet attendant a $5 bill, thank him and drive to the Diaz's house.

I attempt to call Cesar again with no success. Should I call Mando? He's gonna be mad that I left the hospital after I promised him I wouldn't. 15 minutes later I pull up across the street to the Diaz's house. The lights are off. The front lawn is empty. Oscar's Impala wasn't there. The reality of what's going on hit me like a brick.

I grip onto the steering wheel, rest my head against it and feel the tears flow from my eyes. I replayed him kissing me in the hospital. His warm body pressed up against mine. His finger curled under my chin as he lifts my head up. His lips barely touching mine, he puckers them making contact, then leans in so the fullness of his lips rest against mine.