Sentencing

Thursday
February 26

Oscar's POV

I enter the courtroom, my arms and feet are shackled so I waddle when I walk. I see V smiling sitting in the audience, Sad Eyes is sitting next to her. He nods at me and smiles. The Santos take turns coming to court during the trial, making sure nothing pops off in the court room or happens to V. I smirk back and face the judge.

"Mr. Diaz" Judge Malloy says as I stand at the podium, Reginald to my right. "I have thought about this case alot Mr. Diaz. 3 strikes is no light matter. However, throughout everything I have never heard a peep come from you. Is there anything you'd wish to say before I give my decision?" he asks.

"Yes your honor" I say low and clear. "I would like to address Mrs. Miller, Bernice's mom, whom I know is in the court room today." Judge Malloy nods. "Thank You" I turn to the audience.

"Mrs. Miller, I tried to bring B home, I swear I did. I know that nothing I say can ease that pain, that pain of nurturing someone and protecting them from the time they took their first breath. But She-she didn't die alone" a tear falls from my eye, "I held her hand, until she took her last breath I held her in MY hands" I said putting my shackled hands in the air. Mrs. Miller is sobbing loudly. I take a deep breath holding back my tears. "B saved my life, and I know you can't comprehend how a gangbanger lives and your daughter didn't but I swear I tried. A-and I'ma do my best to do right by that".

I turn around and face the judge, "your honor," I say as I close my eyes to compose myself. "My little brother is 18, he's starting UCLA in the fall. All I ask is that you keep me close by so he can visit me. I-I left him alone and my-" I stop and take a breath, "I don't want it to be harder than it already is. Thank You".

Judge Malloy looks at me, "son, you're talking like you've given up" he says.

I shake my head, "no sir. I'm just realistic. I've caused enough heartache and if I can ease some of it, I will" I respond.

"Well young man, this is the reality of the situation. You killed someone. And I can't turn a blind eye to that. I do believe you acted in human instincts. I've done my research on you son. Despite the State's concern, Freeridge seems to be improving under your reign". My eyes widen for a second, shocked at his words. I take a deep breath.

"The street talks son, don't be so surprised. But it seems like you have the right people in your corner to help you succeed this time around." He puts on his reading glasses. "I'm sentencing you to 10 years in the department of corrections."

I felt my heart drop to my stomach, my face contorted from different expressions. "10 years? I-I come home in 10 years?!" I think to myself as I look at Reginald. He smiles at me and I smile back and look at Judge Malloy.

"Upon release you will serve 5 years on probation. The court will credit the 1003 days you've already served in County during your trial to your sentence. Now son..." Judge Malloy takes off his glasses and points at me with them. "God gave you a second chance and I'm giving you an opportunity, I don't want to see you in my court room again". I open my mouth and nothing comes out, so I nod.

Judge Malloy smiles, "This case is closed and Court is adjourn." He says banging his mallet.

I look back at the audience. Sad Eyes shakes his fist in victory and smiles. V is covering her mouth with her hands but you can see her cheeks raised that she's smiling.

I smile showing some teeth. I come home. "Damn" I think to myself. I turn to Reginald and put my fist up. He pounds me back and hugs me, before the Bailiff escorts me out of the court room.