Plea Deal

(9 months later)

Thursday
January 16

Oscar's POV

I sit across the table from the Prosecutor, Reginald is to my left. He said they want to offer me a plea deal. "Plea deals are good, it means they don't want you to go to trial," he says. I'm not naive though, I know I'm going to do time. I just want a release date.

The prosecutor, Dennis Mccleary, drops a folder on the table and begins to shuffle through pictures. A blood puddle in the carpet. Bullet casings with yellow triangles next to them. 30? damn that many bullets huh? That's not all of them either.

He shuffles through some pictures of the body guards. Stops at Cuchillos, pressing his fingers on it. "She alone will get you life" he says tapping on the picture with every word. My eyes dart up at him. I lean back, raising my eyebrow pressing my lips together. Reginald places a hand on my bicep, looks at Mr. Mccleary and says, "the bullet trajectory will prove my client didn't murder her, so unless you have something more viable. We shall see you in court good sir". His British accent kills me. I couldn't help but chuckle.

Mr. Mccleary was offended. "You think this is funny?!" he yells. He shuffles through the pile pulling out the pictures of Bernice laying on a metal table. Her face is pale and bruised up. I closed my eyes remembering her final words, "D-Dont Leave M-me" she gargled. I grabbed the picture and stared at her.

"30 years that's the deal" Mccleary says. I look up at him. Reginald Scoffs. "30 years, is this a joke to you mate?" he says. "We'll take our chances with the Jury" he pushes his chair back. Mccleary tosses a picture of Parker to me, "we're dropping the other Manslaughter charges and sticking to one". "Damn, he might actually bam me for this one" I think as I swallow the lump in my throat.

"It was self defense and the Jury will agree" Reginald says sternly. "Self-defe- He has a tear drop tattoo!" Mccleary says pointing at me, "c'mon Reginald, 30 years is a sweet deal compared to life." "He's 22, after 30 he'd be 52!" Reginald argues. "But he comes home" Mccleary points out. "The deal is on the table for 3 days" he says getting up and walking out.

Reginald looks at me, "30 years is too much Oscar" he says. "But I come home right?" I rebut. "There's a possibility, yes. But there's a chance you might not have to do time." He points out. "I'm not a kid Reginald. What's worst case scenario? Am I looking at life? Am I going to die in here? Or is my worst possibility 25? Do I get parole? Can we appeal?" I'm facing him now, the cuffs around my wrist don't let me emphasize my words freely.

I point at Parker's picture, "if the Jury doesn't buy the self defense argument, I go down for him. I will never see Cesar unless it's in blues!" I rub my forehead. Reginald taps the table, "this is what I do for a living mate. I can win this. Worst you'll get is 25, no judge will lock you away for life based on the circumstances even with 3 strikes. If you trust me don't take this plea. If you want to come home at 52, then we sign right now." I sigh. Stare blankly at the door. "Take a day to think about it and let me know" he says sincerely.

9:59pm (same day)

at the jail